Author Topic: MySore Kirloskar Enterprise 10 rebuild  (Read 5881 times)

woodchucker

Re: MySore Kirloskar Enterprise 10 rebuild
« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2019, 06:51:20 PM »
I have no patients for those people that get on the internet and tell all crap about how great something is when it ainít. AND I donít have any patients for those people that donít know a good thing when it stares them in the face and then they smuck it on the net.

well that's why opinions are like assholes.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

34_40

« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2019, 06:57:35 PM »
And we all have one and they all stink!  :P
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

Carpenter84

« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2019, 07:27:32 PM »
Hahahaha

Jeff... You said you don't trust it reversing... Are they directional???
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

ddickey

« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2019, 08:49:34 AM »
Yes they're. I had one on my old lathe (2). They worked well for me.

woodchucker

« Reply #139 on: July 07, 2019, 09:39:38 AM »
Hahahaha

Jeff... You said you don't trust it reversing... Are they directional???

sure, they are only supposed to run in one direction. The tabs that come out the bottom drive the direction.
I think the tabs are supposed to face rear ward around the sheave.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)

Carpenter84

« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2019, 10:49:22 AM »
I did not know this...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2019, 10:54:40 PM »
I replaced the belt with a cog belt. Runs fine.
Got everything back together and made the first part. A clutch puller for my boss.
Everything started out noisy but quieted down by the end of the job. For some reason, I cannot get lucky with belts that donít clunk. Makes me me wonder if one of the pulleys is eccentric.
Also, the banjo and gear box are as noisy as ever... like the apocalypse rolling through my garage... sure wish I could swap the gears out with helical gears to shut them up.... most of the noise is gear mesh and teeth clinking together. So freaking noisy... without the banjo engaged, itís whisper quiet.

Things were running a bit warm tho... honesty, mostly belts. Spent some time as I was working playing with tensions and preloaded. Iím not sure itís 100% yet, but itís coming.
That 1.5hp motor makes all the difference in the world... I can finally take a good cut now... pending I buy better inserts... still not satisfied with my insert tooling...  but no more motor stalls! However, I am going to have an issue with the underpowered vfd. Maybe next month after the credit card bills have been cleared, Iíll grab another 2hp like I got for the mill. Then Iíll have plenty of headroom and power for a future motor upgrade, or if the vfd is needed for another machine.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2019, 06:13:58 AM »
Holy crapola...

I have spent years trying to find another lathe like mine on the interwebs. The best I have seen is someone bought one years ago on practical machinist. Never seen other pictures of it, parts, or even a manual. The HH Roberts supplier an hour from me says he has parts and a manual but turns out he doesn't.

Then this shows up...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/mississauga-peel-region/mysore-kirloskar-ltd-enterprise-10-metal-lathe/1448238381

It looks to be in much better condition than mine, price seems appropriate, but more importantly... It has the steady and follow rests!!!
I emailed and wrote a nice length message asking if they'd seperate the rests for sale. If I miss them, i know it's suuuper unlikely I'll find them again, unless I make them. Having the rests would solve a lot of chatter and turning problems I have....
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2019, 07:35:13 AM »
Buy the whole darn thing and be done!  I highly doubt the seller is going to separate items to sell individually.  Might be able to negotiate a lower price for the lathe, but really for what's included, that's not a bad deal, a damn goo one if you ask me.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 07:36:44 AM by 4GSR »
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2019, 07:45:24 AM »
Ya I know it's a decent price... I'm sure it's in better shape than mine. Hell. Look at the legend plate, it's actually black.
But, if I'm going to buy a lathe, I'd rather it be a bigger one. I don't think I'd get 2000 if I kept the newer one and sold mine.
And it would be a haaaard sell for me to ask the warden.
I'm really counting on the seller willing to entertain my plea.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2019, 12:11:32 PM »
Dro and carriage scale installed.

Took a few hours. Had to fab a bracket. The one included was total junk. But it came together nicely. Had to remove the carriage to drill the back of the saddle. Couldn't get my drill back there.
Seems accurate and repeatable. I had two indicators setup on either end of the table and everything kept zeroing out running back and forth testing.

Only complaints are the horrid Chinglish user manual, but at least it has one. And the segmented displays are hard to see during the day. There's no tinted plastic over the display. But I can get some off eBay and tape them on or open up the case and install them.

Next month I'll get the cross slide scale and the battle of where to put the scale so it doesn't interfere with the TS will ensue.

Also, while I had the TS off, I attempted some half moon scraping on the very small sliding surfaces. They're quite rough. I stoned them and scraped them just for oil groves. Actually, quite the difference in just sliding the TS back and forth on the bed. Very smooth, and quieter.
The TS will also likely need turcite as it's about .010" low to the spindle. This machines seen a lot of wear.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2019, 10:40:21 PM »
I ordered some led segmented display tint lenses from digikey, arrived to day. Nice next day shipping. Installed them tonight behind the screen.
Makes a huge difference without darkening the display too much.
Happy.
I'm itching to order the cross slide scale.... And a whole set for the mill....
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2019, 08:12:12 AM »
explain what the lenses do?  and why you needed them. I have pretty much the same dro head, and am happy with it... what's up?
Jeff

GNAP

« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2019, 09:09:26 AM »
I wanted to echo that I've had no joy when using the link belts.  Always could get them to slip unless they were loaded to an extreme. Some folks swear by'em.  I'm not one of those!

I respect other peopleís opinions, you use what works for you. I on the other hand, have used nothing but link belts for 30+yrs, never had any issues. I run them in both directions on a daily basis. I use them in the home shop and use them exclusively at work, have sold thousands of them, to my customers, with absolutely no issues.

Carpenter84

« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2019, 10:38:07 AM »
explain what the lenses do?  and why you needed them. I have pretty much the same dro head, and am happy with it... what's up?

I should have taken the "before" picture with the protective plastic cover off to better see, but with or without, I was having the same problem - a common issue with segmented LED displays is if they don't have a tinted lens, you can very visibly see the individual segments. In my case, my eyes were having a difficult time seeing the lit up segments because the non-illuminated are so light coloured. I could see the numbers very clearly if I turned the lights off, my shop is very well lit - very bright. I do this on purpose because I don't like working in shadows.

The tinted lens is just that, a tinted lens. In this case, green. It's just a strip of green clear plastic. These ones have a glossy side and a dull side to block glare. But I have them installed behind the casement cover. It just darkens the display slightly, allowing me to better see the lit segments.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Machinists Gazette

« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2019, 10:38:07 AM »