Author Topic: MySore Kirloskar Enterprise 10 rebuild  (Read 3986 times)

Carpenter84

Re: MySore Kirloskar Enterprise 10 rebuild
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2019, 10:43:44 AM »
I wanted to echo that I've had no joy when using the link belts.  Always could get them to slip unless they were loaded to an extreme. Some folks swear by'em.  I'm not one of those!

I respect other people’s opinions, you use what works for you. I on the other hand, have used nothing but link belts for 30+yrs, never had any issues. I run them in both directions on a daily basis. I use them in the home shop and use them exclusively at work, have sold thousands of them, to my customers, with absolutely no issues.

I'm not disregarding the fact that they may work in other situations, just not mine. And I think it may have had a lot to do with the fact that the belt was constantly oily.

The link belt I had on the motor to back pulley never had an issue, cause it was always dry. But my spindle belt slipped under load. Then I was playing a balancing act between tight enough to not slip and overloading the spindle - or driving my running amps too high.

That said, i did enjoy the lump-less running... The belts were noisy in that they made a little sound with each passing segment - a buzz, but they didn't lump... The brand new belt I put on the spindle is already lumpy. It wasn't a super cheap belt either. A segmented belt. But I can feel the lap locations of the various materials in the belt... I don't like it. It makes for much more noise than before.
Even the kevlar belt I have on the motor currently has a small lump. Not nearly as bad as the spindle belt - but naturally it has to be the spindle belt that's already going to crap..........
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2019, 12:54:21 PM »
The old redundant A, B, C, D, and E section vee belts are so antiquate to use today.  I hate them, but so many machine tools are designed and built using them that's there's no way to get around it, ever! (I won't bring up the 3-L, 4-l, 5-L vee belts here) Back in my younger years, we used to design drive trains and such using the 3-V and 5-V section vee belts.  They pull the same amount of HP/torque, but with lesser resistance.  HDT style timing belts were next.  I don't know what they are called today, it's a whole different system of numbers and are available.  The perfect belting system I like is the Poly-Vee.  It's essentially a flat belt with "ribs" or "vees" on the underside of the belt.  Serpentine belts, some call them.  They do take up some room width wise, but can handle fairly good torque that you don't get out of a flat belt and most vee belts. 

Shawn, I know on your lathe, you're pretty much stuck with what you have without doing major redesign to make a Poly-Vee belt to work.  Did I mention 4-L and 5-L belts?  They are a lighter duty belt verses A-Section and B-Section belts are.  The L-series belts will fit in place of a A or B section belt with some HP/ torque loss,  but may reduce most of the "thump" noise you are getting.  Another option to think about. 

Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2019, 02:26:52 PM »
I'm not pushing my lathe so hard that I'd make a standard belt slip, because I just don't have the HP... Well I do, but I never changed my vfd when I put the 1.5hp motor on. And frankly, the current setup will do everything I want. In fact, it runs really quite well now! (There's a funny sticktion in the spindle bearings, but I'll bring that up separately)
My issue is playing with the belt tension to get rid of the dang lumping noise without slipping. If I crank up the belt to grab real well, I get the lumping and quite a bit of noise from all bearings associated with that belt tension, and it raises my running amps. And I don't like any of those things...

I am not opposed to changing the belt design. It wouldn't be the first step pulley I've made. The machinists handbook has a bunch of useful info in that field.

How do poly-vee belts do with changing pulleys? I'm variable speed, but I still use the step pulleys if I want to drastically change the speed. I try to keep the motor between 75% - 110% speed to keep running amps down or I overload the vfd (yes, I should get a proper sized VFD for my motor... Eventually)

Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2019, 02:28:15 PM »
In fact, making a poly-vee pulley would be easier than a normal vee belt... instead of having to hog out the vee's, I'd just make a form tool to make each small vee. Actually, likely a lot less work.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.