Author Topic: What Did You Do Today  (Read 44025 times)

f350ca

What Did You Do Today
« on: September 10, 2018, 07:59:31 PM »
Started a thread like this on another forum. Open to everyone to post small projects or repairs that don't warrant a separate thread.

Greg

f350ca

Re: What Did You Do Today
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 08:00:23 PM »
The other day I got a call from a chap wondering if I could look at his hydro plant. It needed the bearings changed on the turbine. OK, this sounds interesting.
He bought a farm a year or so ago complete with a 60 Kilowatt hydro plant. He can operate it about 9 months of the year, over the summer the flow in the creek is too low. Has about 12 foot of fall with a 36 inch pipe feeding the turbine. When running he sells power to the grid.
Even shut down theres enough leakage to spin the turbine. It was clunking away, but didn't sound like bearing problems. Put a screw driver as a stethoscope against the bearings and they sound fine. It has wickets that adjust the flow into the turbine, this controls the speed to stay at 60 hertz. I climb down into the cellar around the turbine and the little ball joints one of the arms that control the wickets is broken. Pull the arm on the wicket up and we have silence, and he has a grin on his face.
He's going to close the gate above the penstock and dewater the system. We'll replace all the ball joints and give it a going over.
Sorry no photo's my camera battery was dead and my phone camera has died. Will get some pictures when I go back to work on it.

Greg

kvt85

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 08:10:17 AM »
You have done more in your shop than I have got in mine lately.   Finally got most of the Bath remodel stuff out of the way,  So I can start cleaning up and get back in.   First going up to Lindale TX, Tyler area, Sat,  and on to Branson  on Sun.   Wife want a vacation, and I get my epidural for the back today,   so I should be able to stand the car rides better.   Need to find something to do up in that area while she is shoping etc.  But that means the pain relief will be wearing down by the time I make it back into the shop again.   
Ken in SA TX

Jet 10x24 and Taiwan 10x24
Enco 30 mill
Sherline Lath and mill

GNAP

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 08:57:27 AM »
Yesterday, I worked on a 1000hp boiler (42 million BTUs) in a cream cheese/string cheese plant. Worked on the combustion tuning and some control issues.

Today, standing in the shop, watching out the shopís overhead front door, seeing retirees walking their dogs and young mothers, pushing the strollers. Most of the young kids, scream with glee, when they see the big fluffy dog, but at his age, he couldnít care less. Iím on hot stand by, allegedly anticipating a phone call to spring into action.

FedEx was supposed to have dropped off a package for todayís work, yesterday morning , showed up at 5:30 pm (so much for extra charges for over night delivery), they said they could not deliver as no one answered the door, as the wife and I were setting the living room, that was pure bullshit. He did leave the infamous canít deliver tag. So now we are in the package location limbo, their tracking computer, does not know, if its on the truck for a second delivery attempt, setting in the warehouse or in a ditch somewhere They are waiting for a computer update/reboot/Armageddon. So we wait. Customer is irate, they have 18 people, standing around, with no actual production being done, for their work schedule, they have their customer deadline, and FedEx is very non committal on, where the package is, who has it, or if/when it we be delivered. I hate this business.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, the shop is a cool 65 degrees, the sun is out and the the forecast is great.
jack

4GSR

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 09:43:07 AM »
Meanwhile back at the ranch, the shop is a cool 65 degrees, the sun is out and the the forecast is great.

I'm jealous! 99% humidity, 85 degrees, and rain in the forecast.

Hurry up fall, getting tired of this!!!
Ken

kvt85

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 07:18:54 PM »
4gsr,  over 6 inches in the last week,  I do not think we have had a day without some rain here.   It finally made it down to 79 percent humidity tonight.   It rained earlier this evening.   

kt
Ken in SA TX

Jet 10x24 and Taiwan 10x24
Enco 30 mill
Sherline Lath and mill

4GSR

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 07:22:21 PM »
4gsr,  over 6 inches in the last week,  I do not think we have had a day without some rain here.   It finally made it down to 79 percent humidity tonight.   It rained earlier this evening.   

kt

We had a shower this afternoon.  So far, that's been about it since Tuesday.  WE have more coming.  Man, you guys have been getting it.
Ken

f350ca

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 07:40:56 PM »
Hot and humid here by our standards. Was 80 F today, too hot to be out in the sun cutting firewood. Cooled down to 64 F this evening but 96% humidity.

Greg

woodchucker

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 08:10:55 PM »
that was our whole summer hot and humid... now just humid.. we haven't had a clear day in 2 weeks.  I just cut the grass with a light rain it was too high, and I couldn't wait any longer.

I have been busy though. Multiple projects at once..
Ramps to move stuff to the basement.
A trolly to move the equip  into the stairwell, on the dolly. Made of wood, and skate wheels..

I rebuilt the magnetic chuck (I think I need a fine pole chuck) for the grinder it only holds really big pieces. Anything small can easily be moved. Maybe after I surface grind the chuck in a few months (after rebuilding the grinder) it will hold better, since it will be in absolute contact with the magnetic plate. The surface is quite dimpled.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

savarin

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 07:09:58 AM »
Had a great day, saw the pandas and their babies then had the hottest hot pot I've ever eaten.
In Chengdu China.
Had no problems logging in here either.

GNAP

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 09:22:02 AM »
where did you see the pandas?? I saw them at the Beijing zoo and at a panda reserve about 2 hours outside of Tianjin. The next day I visited the Great Wall of China.

Have you had an opportunity to visit any of their manufacturing facilities?? I saw some amazing Chinese CNC marching centers (think Haas or Mazak).
jack

f350ca

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 05:12:31 PM »
Way too hot today but spent the afternoon out in the sun cutting firewood.
Built this processor a couple of years back. Uses a 17 hp Kubota diesel, could have a little more power but cuts faster than any chain saw I'd want to hold. Has a single splitter, thats the slow part with big wood, but the 4 ways seam to make kindling or too big of blocks.
Having the shovel to load the bunks is a lot easier than the tractor.

Jake Parker

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 05:38:00 PM »
As I was working, I get a text from a friend.

I cant get this nut to start on the axle, any sugestions?

(I didnt have time to answer, when I did get time more texts waited.)

I got it started, but it wont tighten up.

(A few minutes duration)

Its turning but wont tighten.

I think I stripped it.

Can you fix it?

( 20 minutes later)

Its in front of your shop, no rush, but I need it Monday.

(A minute later)

Its good to have buddies with a machine shop!

I know what I will be doing this weekend!

Bill Gruby

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 05:40:52 PM »
 I did something I have not done for some time now, I went thru a whole day with no pain. Thank You Lord.

"Billy G"
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb shit, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Carpenter84

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 06:19:24 PM »
Fantastic!
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.