Author Topic: What Did You Do Today  (Read 44014 times)

Carpenter84

Re: What Did You Do Today
« Reply #615 on: August 09, 2019, 01:23:22 PM »
So you're suggesting that might be a bison chuck? That's neat. The jaws are bell mouthed, but it's a pretty solid chuck regardless. I need to clean it out again, there's spots in the spiral that get hung up sometimes when turning the key.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

pep

« Reply #616 on: August 09, 2019, 05:27:06 PM »
I decided against the grinding compound Pep because of the holes in the brass.
I was certain it would have embedded in and impossible to remove after.
True enough, where is this swiss cheese brass form, not heard of or seen ever? Or is it some unintended consequence,  being exploited here ?

Good idea BTW regarding the reason and use of same.

Pep
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 05:29:01 PM by pep »

chips and more

« Reply #617 on: August 09, 2019, 05:31:35 PM »
Rotary Broach Cutter

Today I needed a 5/32” hex cutter for my rotary broach. And I didn’t have one. More like I can’t find it, LOL. So I used my little surface grinder and an Unimat indexing head fitted to an angle fixture that I made some time back. And for the record (again!), I not a fan of Unimat products. But this little dividing head is symmetrically sized for my grinder and it does a fair job of indexing for my grinding needs. Anyway, about ˝” hour later I now have a 5/32” hex cutter (+0.0025”) with a 2° back angle. I don’t use 1/2” HSS billet blanks if the final result is really small. It’s a waste of grinding time. I use 1/4” HSS round stock and fit it into a special made holder that then fits the rotary broach (see pic).

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 06:23:58 PM by chips and more »

savarin

« Reply #618 on: August 09, 2019, 08:00:36 PM »

True enough, where is this swiss cheese brass form, not heard of or seen ever? Or is it some unintended consequence,  being exploited here ?

Good idea BTW regarding the reason and use of same.

Pep
Definitely an unintended consequence Pep.
a failed lost foam brass casting.
This is the third time I have used it, this time for bearings and the other two for lead screw nuts.
The cross slide lead screw is made from this stuff and gives a very smooth feel but I dont think it will last.
Its actually in my scrap brass bin ready for re casting but as I needed these bearings I thought why not I can always make them again with the real stuff when I find some.

Bill Gruby

« Reply #619 on: August 10, 2019, 07:54:09 AM »
 When I worked for GM years ago I would like to have a nickel for every job done in a three jaw chuck that most would require a for jaw chuck. It was done simply because of the time needed to change chucks and set ups. It was SOP to do it. No there is nothing wrong with a for jaw chuck. I use one all the time now. Kudos for a job well done on that eccentric.

"Billy G"
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 07:56:00 AM by Bill Gruby »
Don't sweat getting old, you'll still do dumb shit, just slower.

An Optimist will tell you the glass is half full, the pessimist half empty, the engineer will say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

chips and more

« Reply #620 on: August 10, 2019, 09:06:38 AM »
Yes Billy G, I hear yah. Like Savarin does so well doing. Think outside the box when in the Hobby Shop! You might have a 4jaw chuck, but is there any other way to do the job without it??? The idea might be better, faster and more accurate.

chips and more

« Reply #621 on: August 10, 2019, 10:25:02 AM »
Used the Hex Cutter Today
So today I used the broach cutter I made yesterday and cut a 5/32” hex hole in 1144 with my rotary broach. I could not be happier. But sorry for the poor pics. I never said I was any kind of photographer! Like a lathe or milling machine or surface grinder…or? The rotary broach adds a whole new capability to any shop. I never realized its importance until I got it!!! I can’t say that enough! Every spouse should understand for the budget adjustment for one…LOL.

woodchucker

« Reply #622 on: August 10, 2019, 10:28:47 AM »
Used the Hex Cutter Today
So today I used the broach cutter I made yesterday and cut a 5/32” hex hole in 1144 with my rotary broach. I could not be happier. But sorry for the poor pics. I never said I was any kind of photographer! Like a lathe or milling machine or surface grinder…or? The rotary broach adds a whole new capability to any shop. I never realized its importance until I got it!!! I can’t say that enough! Every spouse should understand for the budget adjustment for one…LOL.

that sucks, you ought to send that to me, I'll show you how to cut em... :P

You'll get it back in a few years... Or NEVER.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

chips and more

« Reply #623 on: August 10, 2019, 10:35:02 AM »

[/quote]
that sucks, you ought to send that to me, I'll show you how to cut em... :P
You'll get it back in a few years... Or NEVER.
[/quote]
You could make one? Are they being made overseas yet?  And sorry mine is not for loan ;D

woodchucker

« Reply #624 on: August 10, 2019, 11:35:52 AM »
Ive been thinking of making one. I've seen quite a few different designs. one of the simplest to use a ball and create a depression for the ball about 1thou off center.. in the arbor.

Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

pep

« Reply #625 on: August 10, 2019, 05:54:47 PM »
Dave,
Rotary broach, would like to see more of the setup, saw a CNC rig with a quick search. Seeing that, me thinks your machine work is not a pass time.

Interested in how you go about it, or is a rotary broch always a CNC process ?

Just some machine pic would be real nice to look at. Like the one of the surface grinder that looks suburb. Defiantly not a CL find, drag home and rebuild, that puppy is fine.

That said my last post regarding the FLY cutter. Thanks to all, and a delay in the return process, gave it a second chance.

It stays got it sorted out, I know the vendor will love the news. LOL

Pep
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 05:57:06 PM by pep »

Carpenter84

« Reply #626 on: August 10, 2019, 06:27:08 PM »
I may have missed the part where it was a carbide insert fly cutter.
If you get some aluminum carbides for that tool, that aluminum will look damn slick, even shinier than that.

But even still, looks great. That’s the finish I was talking about being desirable on a large flat surface.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #627 on: August 10, 2019, 06:28:46 PM »
Makes me want to finally just make another arbor and get my cutter spinning again.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #628 on: August 10, 2019, 11:21:18 PM »
Blah blah blah. Yup. More AXA tool holders.

These ones are quite a bit beefier than the Chinese ones I have, and the last ones I made were aluminum. I made these to hold the 1/2"+ sized indexable tools I've been playing with recently.

Cold bluing is not an exacting science....
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #629 on: August 11, 2019, 01:31:59 AM »
I also cleaned up a few shop loose ends I've been meaning to fix/complete.

Fixed my quill clockspring. Tried using the old one from that spare Bridgeport head I have, but it disintegrated as soon as I tried to preload it.
So, I repaired mine. Jammed some needle nose pliers in to seperate the layers, stuck a thick piece of brass Shim stock behind the end of the spring, used a propane pencil torch to heat and bend a new end. Used a brass burr to drill the hole and reinstalled the spring on the quill and all is well.

Also mounted that Noga immigration indicator holder onto a tool holder for easier lathe indicating. The addition of that tiny thrust washer makes all the difference in these little indicator arms.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.