Author Topic: What Did You Do Today  (Read 44028 times)

4GSR

Re: What Did You Do Today
« Reply #630 on: August 11, 2019, 07:33:42 AM »
Shawn, I like the way you have the alien Noga mounted on the tool block.  I'll have to try that.  Thanks for sharing.

GNAP

« Reply #631 on: August 11, 2019, 08:13:52 AM »
I did a similar Noga indicator holder a couple of years ago

pep

« Reply #632 on: August 11, 2019, 09:29:45 AM »
Shawn, I like the way you have the alien Noga mounted on the tool block.  I'll have to try that.  Thanks for sharing.

Yes that does make a lot of sense, BTW I dig modes like this.. thumbs up!

Shaw, need to put a paten on it, Noga will copy and sell that idea.
Better yet make em and sell them. Wonder if the ball mount for the main arm is a standard size?

Pep

chips and more

« Reply #633 on: August 11, 2019, 10:53:19 AM »
Dave,
Rotary broach, would like to see more of the setup, saw a CNC rig with a quick search. Seeing that, me thinks your machine work is not a pass time.

Interested in how you go about it, or is a rotary broch always a CNC process ?

Just some machine pic would be real nice to look at. Like the one of the surface grinder that looks suburb. Defiantly not a CL find, drag home and rebuild, that puppy is fine.

Pep

Using the rotary broach is not just for CNC machines. You can use a rotary broach on a manual lathe, manual milling machine, drill press, etc. The pic below is showing how I just did the 5/32” hex hole using my manual lathe and rotary broach mounted in the tail stock. You would first drill a clearance hole and put a slight chamfer on that hole. The chamfer will aid in the alignment of the broach cutter. Then gently feed the cutter. You will feel a throbbing sensation in the feed. This is the cutting action of the cutter every time it rotates to the next facet. As soon as you stop feeling the throbbing that means the cutter has hit bottom. Then you are done and it only takes a few minutes to do! I got my rotary broach on fleabay. Was not in a hurry. Just watched for maybe a couple of months and then pulled the trigger. Can get pricey if you don’t shop! Could also make your own. Could be a fun project! Maybe the folks on MG could all get together and make a project out of it? Making the cutters is another story. Grinding HSS to an exacting size and shape could be a challenge for some Hobby Shops? Maybe buy the cutters and make the rotary broach?

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 10:56:47 AM by chips and more »

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #634 on: August 11, 2019, 10:58:54 AM »

I have the plans for a rotary broach here somewhere. I will try to find them and will post them for anyone that might be interested.

ON EDIT:  The files are attached as a zip file. It contains the drawings in DXF, DWG, and PDF.  All dimensions are metric, so anybody still using imperial measures will need to do some conversions. Don't remember where I got the drawings from, but I did not see any copyright on them.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 11:17:40 AM by Terrywerm »
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

chips and more

« Reply #635 on: August 11, 2019, 12:24:49 PM »
I have had my rotary broach for a loooong time. Since then, I have noticed several flavors in design. The plain and simple round one looks easy enough. You will not have the fine tuning feature for alignment but I don’t see a big deal. Just gotta make sure your cutters all have the same length. Like maybe the standard 1 ¾”? Making the hole in the round design is the only head scratcher. Need to do a little math and special set-up to make the hole on an angle, position and certain depth. And maybe with flat bottom?

4GSR

« Reply #636 on: August 11, 2019, 12:27:37 PM »
Terry,

The only thing I don't like about the one in the zip file, it has the thrust bearing in front instead of in the back.  I made one that didn't work out very well.  Never did go back and mess with it anymore.  I think my biggest problem was trying to cut heat treated 4140 steel.  Had a Rockwell hardness of around 32-38 HRC.

I would love to see the "guts" on the Slater one in the above pictures.  Pep, any chance of taking yours apart and showing it to us?

Oops, directed to the wrong person, sorry.  Re-direct to Chips and More.

Ken
Ken

4GSR

« Reply #637 on: August 11, 2019, 12:30:47 PM »

Jack, that level used to keep your lathe leveled? ;D ;D ;D
Ken

chips and more

« Reply #638 on: August 11, 2019, 12:47:23 PM »
Terry,

The only thing I don't like about the one in the zip file, it has the thrust bearing in front instead of in the back.  I made one that didn't work out very well.  Never did go back and mess with it anymore.  I think my biggest problem was trying to cut heat treated 4140 steel.  Had a Rockwell hardness of around 32-38 HRC.

I would love to see the "guts" on the Slater one in the above pictures.  Pep, any chance of taking yours apart and showing it to us?

Oops, directed to the wrong person, sorry.  Re-direct to Chips and More.

Ken

Ken, I have this break down in my manual…Dave. If I was to do it all over again. I would try and make the simple round design I now see. And no fancy bearings. Maybe two for radial load and a trust in the back.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #639 on: August 11, 2019, 02:42:08 PM »

I agree with Ken that having the thrust bearing  in the rear would be a better option, but the plan gives a person a place to start.

Here is a site where a fellow built his own and he takes the reader through it more or less step-by-step: http://www.docsmachine.com/projects/rotarybroach/rb01.html

This one didn't even use a thrust bearing. I suspect that it may work just fine as the thrust load may not be as great as one might initially expect.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 02:52:32 PM by Terrywerm »
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

34_40

« Reply #640 on: August 11, 2019, 03:29:52 PM »
That said my last post regarding the FLY cutter. Thanks to all, and a delay in the return process, gave it a second chance.
It stays got it sorted out, I know the vendor will love the news. LOL   Pep

Way to go Pep!   Wonderful finish, glad you tried it again.     And like you I'd like to learn more of the rotary broach.
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

GNAP

« Reply #641 on: August 11, 2019, 04:35:35 PM »

Jack, that level used to keep your lathe leveled? ;D ;D ;D

No just the last place I left it..

woodchucker

« Reply #642 on: August 11, 2019, 06:18:10 PM »
I have had my rotary broach for a loooong time. Since then, I have noticed several flavors in design. The plain and simple round one looks easy enough. You will not have the fine tuning feature for alignment but I don’t see a big deal. Just gotta make sure your cutters all have the same length. Like maybe the standard 1 ¾”? Making the hole in the round design is the only head scratcher. Need to do a little math and special set-up to make the hole on an angle, position and certain depth. And maybe with flat bottom?

I like the one you have, but too pricey for my level of hobby work.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

34_40

« Reply #643 on: August 11, 2019, 07:29:55 PM »
Thanks Terrywerm, that video really spells it out.
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

Carpenter84

« Reply #644 on: August 12, 2019, 01:41:16 AM »
Dave,
Rotary broach, would like to see more of the setup, saw a CNC rig with a quick search. Seeing that, me thinks your machine work is not a pass time.

Interested in how you go about it, or is a rotary broch always a CNC process ?

Just some machine pic would be real nice to look at. Like the one of the surface grinder that looks suburb. Defiantly not a CL find, drag home and rebuild, that puppy is fine.

That said my last post regarding the FLY cutter. Thanks to all, and a delay in the return process, gave it a second chance.

It stays got it sorted out, I know the vendor will love the news. LOL

Pep

Here's the best I can get out of my face mill. Nevermind the cutting pattern, more so the tool marks from the various passes. If this needed to be nice looking, my options would be to surface grind it, or the faster method and allowing me to leave it in the mill, would be to use a fly cutter to finish.

I also trammed my mill tonight. Long over due.... .005" out... Eep. And I have a .001" nod (over a 6” swing) I can't get rid of. But I suppose that's not bad for a column mill.
After tramming, cleaning and resetting the vise, and taking my time, I squared that block parallel on all sides to .0005". Not bad at all. It's a parallelogram in one direction because I squared the block in the vise with a square at one point which resulted in a .003" parallelogram, but using my squareness comparator/surface gauge I tested all sides, top and bottom, to be within .0005. certainly not gonna complain there. That's the best result I've ever gotten squaring stock on this mill. Ever.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 06:42:08 AM by Carpenter84 »
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.