Author Topic: What Did You Do Today  (Read 44001 times)

Carpenter84

Re: What Did You Do Today
« Reply #660 on: August 20, 2019, 02:40:48 PM »
that's a nice facemill pep.

anybody use the little hogger .. I see it's offered by a few places.. seems to be the same design by different companies. I'm thinking of going with http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php version. For $35 I can't go wrong.  they sell 1 each of the inserts for half the cost of the whole unit.  I could replace the inserts and holders for less.
Anyway. it's more than double elsewhere. I have a Clausing 8520, so not powerful, only an mt2, 1/2 capacity, but my ER32 holder will hold it, unless I turn it down to 1/2 shank.

With low power, I figured these might work for flattening the Steel Rail section when I can work on it again.

I have a 1" with the triangular insert, the insert is presented flat to the work piece. Works decent, nice finish. Light cuts tho... And the machine handles it well.

I also have a 3/4" 3 insert endmill that's good for hogging. It works decent, even with crummy inserts. Chips come off super hot tho.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

« Reply #661 on: August 20, 2019, 03:11:16 PM »
that's a nice facemill pep.

anybody use the little hogger .. I see it's offered by a few places.. seems to be the same design by different companies. I'm thinking of going with http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php version. For $35 I can't go wrong.  they sell 1 each of the inserts for half the cost of the whole unit.  I could replace the inserts and holders for less.
Anyway. it's more than double elsewhere. I have a Clausing 8520, so not powerful, only an mt2, 1/2 capacity, but my ER32 holder will hold it, unless I turn it down to 1/2 shank.

With low power, I figured these might work for flattening the Steel Rail section when I can work on it again.

I have a 1" with the triangular insert, the insert is presented flat to the work piece. Works decent, nice finish. Light cuts tho... And the machine handles it well.

I also have a 3/4" 3 insert endmill that's good for hogging. It works decent, even with crummy inserts. Chips come off super hot tho.
flat not with the point? seems like that would make a much heavier load.

I am wondering how some of the other turning tpg or tnmg styles might work. I think a chip breaker can't hurt, but it might need a negativer work angle.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Carpenter84

« Reply #662 on: August 20, 2019, 04:02:46 PM »
Actually that cutter works quite well. Itís only cutting with the tips and the rest of the flats must just level and/or burnish the surface nice and smooth.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

PJB

What Did You Do Today
« Reply #663 on: August 20, 2019, 08:38:22 PM »
I have a few cuters that seem to work well from iscar. 
.7 diameter 2 insert
1.0 dia 4 insert and
2.48 diameter 5 insert.   
Also have a 3Ē Sandvik but never use it.   

Tip of the insert face is relieved so only about 1/8Ē is wiping the surface.

I found in addition to tram, keeping the chips clear with air helps finish by avoiding recutting and scoring.

The maritool cutter works great on crs

I want what yooz gots

pep

« Reply #664 on: August 20, 2019, 09:08:51 PM »
What is your mill, pep? Iím not actually sure Iíve ever seen it posted.

Nothing special, bench top Precision Matthews.

Pep

Carpenter84

« Reply #665 on: August 20, 2019, 09:37:49 PM »
Hmm. Yeah, facemill might be a bit big for that mill.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

« Reply #666 on: August 21, 2019, 08:36:08 AM »
I don't believe my Clausing 8520 has the ability to turn a 2" face mill in steel... AL yes, Steel... no.

PEP, I agree with Shawn  your PM is underpowered for that size facemill unless you go super light cut, and AL... even lighter for Steel.
Like my 8520, you probably don't have the power or rigidity. Rigidity is just as important. If the head is bouncing, it is taking heavier cuts then lighter cuts then heavier...  so not optimal.

I could see a 2" face mill instead of a fly cutter, but a fly works fine mostly, except in the hardest of metals. A fly delivers a beautiful finish.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)

pep

« Reply #667 on: August 21, 2019, 04:37:09 PM »
I don't force feed the material removal. I agree with both of you the mill is not up to heavy work. For me the fly cutter was more problematic, and tested the mills limits.

The face mill is smoother working. .030 was the largest cut, and only made one pass. The little voice in my head was saying caution.  I'm going to look around, see if I can pick up an amp probe, reasonable.  Clamp it around the power cord have a look see.

Both the fly cutter and face mills primary purpose will be finishing. .020 > less passes. Even a .020 I do not like the action of the fly cutter, all that well.

If it should toast another motor, they are cheap, and i will stop using the mills completely,

The mechanicals of the mill are a bigger concern. After seeing the insides unless some really stupid cuts are taken mill has a long life ahead.

Thanks for the input, food for thought, and respected.

Pep

34_40

« Reply #668 on: August 21, 2019, 05:23:14 PM »
And I'd like to say Thank You to all who participated in this thread. 
This has been a most informative and helpful thread to a newb like me. 
So thanks everybody!  :)
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

woodchucker

« Reply #669 on: August 21, 2019, 05:31:24 PM »
I don't force feed the material removal. I agree with both of you the mill is not up to heavy work. For me the fly cutter was more problematic, and tested the mills limits.

The face mill is smoother working. .030 was the largest cut, and only made one pass. The little voice in my head was saying caution.  I'm going to look around, see if I can pick up an amp probe, reasonable.  Clamp it around the power cord have a look see.

Both the fly cutter and face mills primary purpose will be finishing. .020 > less passes. Even a .020 I do not like the action of the fly cutter, all that well.

If it should toast another motor, they are cheap, and i will stop using the mills completely,

The mechanicals of the mill are a bigger concern. After seeing the insides unless some really stupid cuts are taken mill has a long life ahead.

Thanks for the input, food for thought, and respected.

Pep

I don't know how many amps your motor takes, but there are kill a watt meters and the like... usually upto 15amps. 120volts... you could plug into it and monitor amps.
Or get a clamp on meter. With a clamp on meter you will need a cord that is split so you can read the one leg.   
Jeff

Carpenter84

« Reply #670 on: August 21, 2019, 08:13:25 PM »
Sounds like you have a good handle on all things, pep. Happy milling!
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

pep

« Reply #671 on: August 21, 2019, 08:22:16 PM »
Yes the clamp on type used servicing AC compressors, was what I was thinking of. Had not thought about the need to read one leg, circuit breaker is 20amp fwiw

Maybe make a pink-tail, short extension cord,  divide the power cord that way, get the reading?

Pep

@ shawn
 LOL we will see a little time will tell
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:27:07 PM by pep »

woodchucker

« Reply #672 on: August 21, 2019, 09:19:58 PM »
PJB, I went searching for the iscar or a seco like unit compared to what I think is your 3/4" mill.   HOLLY SH*tacke mushrooms...
My wallet says NO...

Found some similar chineesum mills that I can afford.
Thinking of the : Accusize 3/4
Ok, the 3/4 has a flaw in the design. too thin a web holding the flute on.
The 4 fluted 1" would work. Except I can't handle a 1" shank..
Either I turn it down, or keep looking.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 09:46:51 PM by woodchucker »
Jeff

Carpenter84

« Reply #673 on: August 21, 2019, 09:23:57 PM »
Yes the clamp on type used servicing AC compressors, was what I was thinking of. Had not thought about the need to read one leg, circuit breaker is 20amp fwiw

Maybe make a pink-tail, short extension cord,  divide the power cord that way, get the reading?

Pep

@ shawn
 LOL we will see a little time will tell

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283534316852
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

savarin

« Reply #674 on: August 22, 2019, 03:28:03 AM »
Did some baking, I wonder if they are cooked.