Author Topic: What Did You Do Today  (Read 44011 times)

Carpenter84

Re: What Did You Do Today
« Reply #675 on: August 22, 2019, 08:02:08 AM »
Literally just picked these up. $80. Immaculate shape.

How do you zero the needle back to 12:00?
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

« Reply #676 on: August 22, 2019, 08:06:18 AM »
no, but it makes it easier to read unless you are a lefty.
I suspect that the previous user zeroed it for left handed use.
it is not that hard, just requires a lot of patience to zero to 12'oclock.

I do it by backing out the tension screws removing the springs. sliding to 12 oclock.. sliding the head off the rack by moving it away from the rack (you removed the springs so it's capable) moving the head to the closed position, putting the head back on to the rack.. hopefully nothing moved, but it usually does. so keep trying until you get it zeroed or near zero.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

4GSR

« Reply #677 on: August 22, 2019, 09:45:14 AM »
I don't know about the Starrett calipers, I know on most other brands like Miytotyo calipers, they have a very thin pointer looking thingy that is inserted at the right end of the head next to the rack. It's pushed up in there to move the pinion gear off the rack and allow you to reposition by a tooth or so.  Have to see if I can find one and post a pic of it.

Oh, BTW- Nice find! Very nice find.  The 120's was my first real pair of calipers I've ever owned.  Had to retire them because they got too much wear in the jaw tips.  Couldn't measure in half thousandths like I use to! ;D
Ken

4GSR

« Reply #678 on: August 22, 2019, 10:02:29 AM »
Oh, just thought about something,  I have taken mine apart before many years ago.  The four screws holding the front on, remove those screws and the front will lift off.  Clean all of the crud up that collects under there and re position the pinion on the rack and attempt to realign.  Should be able to get it close.  Last resort, carefully remove the bezel, with a hand puller, remove the hand, re position and put bezel back on.  I don't recommend this method, but at last resort, it does work.  The bezel was never meant to be removed by us tinkerers, but we know that don't stop most of us.
Ken

4GSR

« Reply #679 on: August 22, 2019, 05:17:41 PM »
Say Shawn,

How about restarting this under "Precision Tools" forum?  Once you get it started, I'll try to move the feeds over to the new posting.

Ken
Ken

pep

« Reply #680 on: August 22, 2019, 07:18:13 PM »
PJB, I went searching for the iscar or a seco like unit compared to what I think is your 3/4" mill.   HOLLY SH*tacke mushrooms...
My wallet says NO...

Found some similar chineesum mills that I can afford.
Thinking of the : Accusize 3/4
Ok, the 3/4 has a flaw in the design. too thin a web holding the flute on.
The 4 fluted 1" would work. Except I can't handle a 1" shank..
Either I turn it down, or keep looking.

LMAO, I did the same, came away with the same thought.

Pep

pep

« Reply #681 on: August 22, 2019, 07:26:16 PM »

[/quote]

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283534316852
[/quote]

Excellent  that's the ticket, ordered.

Thank you Shawn.
Pep

Carpenter84

« Reply #682 on: August 22, 2019, 08:49:40 PM »
Wonderful.
I've used several of the cheap Chinese DC shunts, they work reasonably well. I have an ac/DC coil/shunt waiting to go into my big airco welder.
I cannot attest to their accuracy, but it doesn't actually much matter. After a short while you wind up figuring out the range of the machine based on the numbers, and can run accordingly.

When my lathe was DC it was a huge asset. Now, with the VFD, I have the display set to show the AC running amps always on the display. It would be nice to get it displayed on the control panel, but that's a low priority project.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #683 on: August 25, 2019, 08:47:02 PM »
Picked up an Airco high frequency unit for my big old Airco dip stick 160.
Finally weld some aluminum? Why, I think I will!

In reality, this is a hell of a find. Extremely rare. Great deal I think. $120. The guy didn't really know anything about it. He had bought it with an airco AC stick welder. Had intensions of welding, but never got into it. The previous owner obviously used the unit for high frequency tig welding and this guy only wanted to weld his trailer.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

PJB

« Reply #684 on: August 26, 2019, 11:26:01 PM »
PJB, I went searching for the iscar or a seco like unit compared to what I think is your 3/4" mill.   HOLLY SH*tacke mushrooms...
My wallet says NO...

Found some similar chineesum mills that I can afford.
Thinking of the : Accusize 3/4
Ok, the 3/4 has a flaw in the design. too thin a web holding the flute on.
The 4 fluted 1" would work. Except I can't handle a 1" shank..
Either I turn it down, or keep looking.

LMAO, I did the same, came away with the same thought.

Pep
Damn.  nobody likes my upity end mills?

Shawn that vise stop is a great project.   
You will use it alot. 
I made one a bit smaller using 10-32 screw and 1/8Ē dowels but same basic design.   

I want what yooz gots

Carpenter84

« Reply #685 on: August 27, 2019, 10:38:40 AM »
It's been used quite a bit already. It holds very firm with surprisingly little screw force.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

f350ca

« Reply #686 on: August 27, 2019, 11:26:24 AM »
I used the Miller version of your high frequency box quite a bit Shawn. Worked quite well, only nuisance was the gas valve on the torch, much easier on argon when it shuts off with a pedal. The variable current on the pedal is really nice but you can live without it.

Greg

PJB

« Reply #687 on: August 27, 2019, 11:55:17 AM »
HF start and a foot pedal are two things I would love to have.   I got a smoking deal on a miller maxstar 150 STL inverter which was new in the case off ebay but it didnít have the HF of the next model up.   Debated springing for the HF but for $750 I couldnt pass on the deal.   Lift starting the TIG torch is always a crap shoot whether or not it will stick and weld tungsten to the work if not done just so. 
Just a lack of practice but when I use the HF and foot pedal combo DX units at work OMG its night and day how smooth you can start and stop.   For a weekend warrior rig it does fine.
Another issue I found is the The unit itself has no problem running 100% duty cycle but  the air cooled torch gets smoking hot in the hand if you do much of a bead.   
Good thing is foot pedals and chillers can be added.  HF im not sure.
I want what yooz gots

Carpenter84

« Reply #688 on: August 27, 2019, 01:43:30 PM »
I used the Miller version of your high frequency box quite a bit Shawn. Worked quite well, only nuisance was the gas valve on the torch, much easier on argon when it shuts off with a pedal. The variable current on the pedal is really nice but you can live without it.

Greg

Greg. I may have questions when I start digging into the hf box. I'm not 100% sure on how to use it yet. I know the premise, but unsure of the logistics.

I have the dip stick unit setup to the nines for ease of use. All the semi automatic features that come on the big machines, I've modified mine to do.

I have a foot pedal for current, albeit, just on and off. So I don't have to whip out the arc and lose gas coverage. And I have a finger trigger on the torch for gas. Easier than a valve. Just a press of my index finger.

I've also added various selector knobs and switches to switch gasses without changing regulators. And a selector switch to control the relays for the foot pedal and gas switch when switching from Tig to mig and a spool gun (which doesn't work for alumimum... Think wire speed is too low, or, needs the hf box.)
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #689 on: August 27, 2019, 04:36:37 PM »
Makes me sick, dad had a Miller Synchronize 300 welder back, at the family homestead, years ago. Had the foot pedal, bottle, water cooler, and all sorts of goodies to go with it.   Wanted to keep it, but just don't have enough current coming into the house to run it and the house hold both!  Been okay of most general welding, but the moment you kick in the HF, the meter starts to spin!  I put in half the cost of buying it so dad could get into the head rebuilding business that never happen. :(
Ken