Author Topic: What Did You Do Today  (Read 43996 times)

PJB

Re: What Did You Do Today
« Reply #840 on: January 04, 2020, 11:06:17 PM »
Went to see a Led Zeppelin cover band tonight.   Not too shabby
ďJimmy PageĒ did his walk thru the crowd playing with the bow schtick. 

I want what yooz gots

PJB

« Reply #841 on: January 04, 2020, 11:32:13 PM »
But the lasers.   Whatever.   LOL
I want what yooz gots

f350ca

« Reply #842 on: January 06, 2020, 01:33:51 PM »
My son started building electric guitars. He needed a way to accurately radius the fret board. A 12 inch radius.
We thought about building a jig that used the rotary table on the mill, but decided a stand alone unit would be beter.
We made two sets of quadrants with a 12 inch radius from some scrap 1/2 inch polyethylene Then a simple base and slide for the router. The slide has 1/8th plexi to guide a bushing on the base of the router.
Mount the neck, then go back and forth with the router indexing the cut to form the radius.

Carpenter84

« Reply #843 on: January 06, 2020, 01:47:35 PM »
Very nice. Definitely one of the more difficult tasks. I built myself a guitar before. Lol it wasn't spectacular...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

f350ca

« Reply #844 on: January 06, 2020, 04:41:14 PM »
He's made a few bodies, but up until now used necks off other guitars. Made a gorgeous one from Honduran mahogany I had since the 80's.

woodchucker

« Reply #845 on: January 06, 2020, 05:12:42 PM »
He's made a few bodies, but up until now used necks off other guitars. Made a gorgeous one from Honduran mahogany I had since the 80's.

PICS?

I like that jig. Grizzly sells one, but your's is much better this one costs over 1k us.
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Guitar-Fretboard-Radiusing-Sander/G0574
so I like what you did better, then just hand sand...
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

f350ca

« Reply #846 on: January 06, 2020, 05:19:34 PM »
Thats a neat machine but as you say a little spendy. Made him a radiused aluminum sanding block, using a ball end mill and lots of step overs and z adjustments, manual cnc so to speak. Apparently took very litle sanding to remove the router bit marks.

Greg

f350ca

« Reply #847 on: January 09, 2020, 07:49:02 PM »
After seeing a build by Stefan Gotteswinter on his channel I blatantly stole some of his design and built a carbide hone.
Sorry no photos of the build, my camera phone died.
Recycled a small 1800 rpm motor from the tilting mechanism in a hospital bed. Cut away the gearbox and matted a pulley to the 1/4 gear it had for a shaft. The disk spins at 500 rpm, speed stollen from Accu-Finish.
The disks came from China via Aliexpress 800,1000 and 2000 grit at about $1.50 each plus shipping.
The aluminum backing plate has a centering hub, two drive pins and two magnets to secure the disks. Interestingly I epoxied the magnets in, the epoxy expanded as it cured, had to grind the magnets down to sit flush.
Leaves a near mirror like finish on carbide, photo doesn't show it on the old insert I tired.

Carpenter84

« Reply #848 on: January 09, 2020, 07:55:13 PM »
I completely half assed this idea a few months ago while scraping. I absolutely plan on finishing the slow speed grinder to much the same design. I follow Stefan on several platforms. His work is out of this world. But I do miss his older video styles with tool builds. I made his squareness comparator as one of my first major shop projects. Still use it!
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Jake Parker

« Reply #849 on: January 21, 2020, 07:34:13 PM »
I don't recall who, or how long ago it was posted, but someone here or there made a slide hammer with "vice gripes" on them. They used it to pull nails out of corrugated tin.
Fast forward to today, while pulling up carpet tack strips, I needed to pull a few nails out of corners and door jambs.
So, a discarded 3# dumbbell, a 1/4" rod, a little welding, and some  sacrificed vice grip pliers took care of the problem!

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

chips and more

« Reply #850 on: January 22, 2020, 10:16:16 AM »
I saw that idea about 50 years ago. Ever since then, itís been in the back of my mind to make one LOL! I canít count all of the sliding body hammers that I have collected through the years thinking ďthat would make a great vise grip pullerĒ. I just canít get around to welding one up. You canít see me but Iím shaking my head right now LOL. I guess Iíll just keep thinking about it along with the hundreds of other projects.

4GSR

« Reply #851 on: January 22, 2020, 10:28:00 AM »
I like the jym weight being used as the "hammer head"  kool idea.

f350ca

« Reply #852 on: January 22, 2020, 07:23:21 PM »
Posted a jig we made a while ago to radius the fret board on the necks Charlie is making for his guitars. Here's the first one cut on the jig, a fretless bass.

34_40

« Reply #853 on: January 22, 2020, 08:42:52 PM »
 :c029: That bass is beautiful!  :bravo_2:
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

Carpenter84

« Reply #854 on: January 22, 2020, 09:54:49 PM »
Ahhh. The old peavey Mark III. A beast as much as it is a piece of crap!

Really nice job on the bass. Certainly better than the ESP LTD F series bass I made from pine when I was 16....
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.