Author Topic: What Did You Do Today  (Read 20414 times)

4GSR

Re: What Did You Do Today
« Reply #645 on: August 12, 2019, 06:58:15 AM »
..... but using my squareness comparator/surface gauge I tested all sides, top and bottom, to be within .0005. certainly not gonna complain there. That's the best result I've ever gotten squaring stock on this mill. Ever.

Put it on your surface grinder and dust the surfaces.  That will tell you how flat and accurate it really is.  If you have a precision right angle plate to mount the block to, you can get it precisely squared up, too, on the SG.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #646 on: August 12, 2019, 08:38:08 AM »
The task wasn't to perfectly square the block. It was merely a test of the mill and my abilities. I have no purpose for this block. It will join it's other friends in the stock cupboard.

My squares aren't perfect, they're Chinese. But they get me close. I got this result because I didn't really put much effort into squaring. I was really only interested in seeing if I got taper in my cuts and how flat my vise can hold. Evidently good enough for my shop.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

pep

« Reply #647 on: August 17, 2019, 07:31:43 AM »
This is more of a what I'll do today, the motor for my mill. Replacement arrive yesterday, not bad ordered it Monday, installation begins after i hit post.

Simple enough, need to repair the burnt wire, add a new terminal. Maybe a hour, depends if the cat stays out of the way LOL, they are so helpful.

Pep

Carpenter84

« Reply #648 on: August 17, 2019, 08:51:45 AM »
Wow.. there's a lot of heat in those terminals.
Before you power back up, pull one wire off at a time and clean the oxide off the post, washers, and ring terminals. The heat is caused by resistance in the connections. Id also suggest putting a bit of dielectric grease on the connections to reduce the corrosion in the future to prevent premature failure of the windings and caps.

Take pictures before you disconnect to note the connections.

If you are aware of all this already, then please disregard and have a wonderful day!  ;D
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

PJB

« Reply #649 on: August 19, 2019, 05:40:22 PM »
Iíll second the thought those motor wires look mighty crispy.   Guessing theres no overload protection?   Properly sized overloads would prevent that.   If theres enough slack you may want to cut back to undamaged insulation and re-terminate with new ring terminals.   
Clean and tight...
I want what yooz gots

Carpenter84

« Reply #650 on: August 19, 2019, 08:26:18 PM »
Well, you can heat shrink the damaged insulation. Replacing the stakons is definitely a good idea.
Adding a resettable motor overload to the circuit is always a safe, smart approach.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

« Reply #651 on: August 19, 2019, 08:32:23 PM »
Well, you can heat shrink the damaged insulation. Replacing the stakons is definitely a good idea.
Adding a resettable motor overload to the circuit is always a safe, smart approach.

I use liquid insulation in difficult situations.
A) it insulates well
B) it seals from moisture and corrosion.
C) it is super easy to apply.
My lathe motor 1940's war time needed some leads. I used the liquid and never looked back.  But I would strip back to better wire then either crimp or solder a new section on after twisting.  Since it won't be strained solder is fine.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

pep

« Reply #652 on: August 19, 2019, 08:42:12 PM »
One hour of work ??

Well that was a nice dream, 5 hours later, few more parts. Dissembling the motor one piece at a time. So as I could manage the removal of the top of the gear box and spindle drive shaft, with the motor stuck on/in it.

Get it down on the bench, cut the lower motor bearing housing off.  Now exposing the motor bearing and gear box top plate.

Dawning a pickle fork, car guys will know what that is.

Slip it between the motor bearing and top plate. Small slug hammer, a few whacks the what is left of the motor separates from the spindle shaft.

Walla a rusted key is exposed 5 hours later, and realizing my plan was only 4 hour off .

A though accures:
ďIt just goes to show you, itís always something ó if it ainít one thing, itís another, you either got a toenail in your hamburger or toilet paper clinging in your shoe, itís always something,Ē

Quote: Roseanne Roseannadanna
Picture will fill the details

I did add a circuit breaker, had a one pop fuse.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:51:19 PM by pep »

Carpenter84

« Reply #653 on: August 19, 2019, 08:55:20 PM »
That terminal block looks fantastic now. Nice work.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

pep

« Reply #654 on: August 19, 2019, 09:01:03 PM »
Before the motor went south I was messing around with a face mill.   

Having had some start up problems with a fly cutter. Ordered a face mill from banggood to try, for 59 bucks whatís to loose, 6 inserts, 80mm (3inĒ) R8.

Jazzed playing with it making .030 cuts, no machine marks. It is worth a look, good bang for the buck.

Side 5, hunk of aluminum, got the wire, block clamped. Hit the run button, motor start to spin touch the work, and dies, humming, no smoke, no smell .

No load on it when it gave up the ghost, was warm, not hot. Just a machine failure, happens.

Pep

Carpenter84

« Reply #655 on: August 19, 2019, 09:16:04 PM »
I wonder if the 3" is a bit on the big side? Someone with more experience can chime in.

I know with my 2" 3 insert, I can drive up the motor amps pretty quick with .030" cuts.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

pep

« Reply #656 on: August 19, 2019, 11:06:32 PM »
Thought the same and asked that question of the folks I bought the mill from. They said no. the mill is capable.

I do know a fly cutter @ .030 is not a good sound, the face mill a whole different story, i was happy to see and hear. Was running low & medium rpm range, best finish.

I will keep the fly cutter for real wide material .020 being max on the high side or deep if you like.

If using the face mill and this happens again well you and i will know that 2+2= do not do that shit .

A big + the key way and shaft are greased, should speed things up somewhat...:))
Pep

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 11:08:34 PM by pep »

Carpenter84

« Reply #657 on: August 20, 2019, 06:32:55 AM »
What is your mill, pep? Iím not actually sure Iíve ever seen it posted.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

« Reply #658 on: August 20, 2019, 01:30:42 PM »
that's a nice facemill pep.

anybody use the little hogger .. I see it's offered by a few places.. seems to be the same design by different companies. I'm thinking of going with http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php version. For $35 I can't go wrong.  they sell 1 each of the inserts for half the cost of the whole unit.  I could replace the inserts and holders for less.
Anyway. it's more than double elsewhere. I have a Clausing 8520, so not powerful, only an mt2, 1/2 capacity, but my ER32 holder will hold it, unless I turn it down to 1/2 shank.

With low power, I figured these might work for flattening the Steel Rail section when I can work on it again.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

PJB

« Reply #659 on: August 20, 2019, 02:08:08 PM »
My desk at work today
Cobbling together some temp wiring to configure and download programs to stepper drive/controllers on a machine I designed. 
I want what yooz gots