Author Topic: What Did You Do Today  (Read 15069 times)

Carpenter84

Re: What Did You Do Today
« Reply #225 on: January 10, 2019, 09:16:40 AM »
He likes everything still. Lol. Hasn't shown any particular interest past hot wheels, which he now has almost 100...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

f350ca

« Reply #226 on: January 14, 2019, 08:30:57 PM »
Wanted to add a set of driving lights to the bike.
Started out as 4x4x1/2 aluminum angle. Not sure why the finish in the  first picture is so shinny, used matt black powder coat.
What a job finding a place to splice into the hi beam circuit to feed the relay on these.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:33:41 PM by f350ca »

f350ca

« Reply #227 on: January 19, 2019, 01:44:15 PM »
Got my firewood for 2020 delivered yesterday. Kit form, some disassembly required.

woodchucker

« Reply #228 on: January 19, 2019, 03:40:06 PM »
From what I remember Greg, you have a beast of a firewood processing machine you made. I don't think the wood has a chance. ;-)
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

f350ca

« Reply #229 on: January 19, 2019, 07:33:43 PM »
The processor certainly easies the pain of dealing with a load. The one load I cut last summer had some really big oak logs in it, my tractor wouldn't lift them, thankfully we had an excavator there.

Greg

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #230 on: January 20, 2019, 10:15:35 PM »
Not machining related, but it kept me busy for a little while. That's all I'll say for now.   8)
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

jpigg55

« Reply #231 on: January 21, 2019, 11:02:12 AM »
I bet that picture keeps the grandkids in line !!! LOL
SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

Bill Gruby

« Reply #232 on: January 21, 2019, 11:10:57 AM »
 It's a little early in the game to see something like that but it sure says a lot.

"Billy G"

RayH

« Reply #233 on: January 21, 2019, 05:39:10 PM »
Not machining related, but it kept me busy for a little while. That's all I'll say for now.   8)

The picture I want to see is one of that boy, with a giant smile on his face, looking at the posted picture.
Otherwise, not so much.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:16:12 PM by RayH »
Ray

34_40

« Reply #234 on: January 21, 2019, 05:49:59 PM »
Sorry TW.. but, I don't get it. What's the point?
Clausing 108, Clausing 8520, Atlas Horizontal, Lincoln stick and mig welders

woodchucker

« Reply #235 on: January 21, 2019, 07:59:05 PM »
Sorry TW.. but, I don't get it. What's the point?

If  you notice, it appears the papers and head are on the floor, so it adds to the realism and makes you wonder. The problem is the blood trail is not so good. A better ponding of blood would have worked for me.

Nice job though. 
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #236 on: January 22, 2019, 12:35:31 AM »
Well, the reality is that I cannot claim this photo as my own since I was not even born yet when it was taken. My parents were still 18 months from their wedding and I would not come along until 11 months after that.

No, my part in this is one of preservation. The photo was taken as a 35mm slide in January of 1957 by my dad. The young boy is his youngest brother, my uncle Ed, who is only nine years my senior. He went on to serve in Vietnam and is currently enjoying retirement and spending lots of time with his grandchildren. The photo should give him a story that he can tell them.

This is a thread about what I did, and no, it wasn't machine shop related, but it is a rather daunting activity. My dad was an avid photographer and took about 8000 sllde photos between 1957 and 1990. After that he switched to print film and took Lord knows how many photos since then. I am currently working on scanning first the slides and then the prints so that the entire collection will be in digital format. Scanning goes fast, I did the first 1200 slides in about six hours. The time consuming part is cataloging them and "fixing" the ones that have deteriorated over the years. It is is amazing what you can do with modern photo editing software.

The photo in question was done by moving my grandmother's dining room table over against the wall, then opening it in the middle as though to add another leaf. My uncle then sat on a stool under the table with his head sticking up through the opening while some linoleum flooring scraps and newspaper were strategically placed around his head. A piece of scrap baseboard was placed against the wall and a chair was placed on the table off to one side. Finally, good old tomato ketchup was used for effect, Ed closed his eyes, and the shutter was released.

So, I saved this and many other photos for the enjoyment of family members. I wasn't making chips, but I think it was time that was very well spent.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 12:39:02 AM by Terrywerm »
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

RayH

« Reply #237 on: January 22, 2019, 01:35:17 AM »
Thanks for the story Terry.
I will rest easier after reading it (Whew!) and congrats on creating the family digital photo legacy. Priceless.

4GSR

« Reply #238 on: January 22, 2019, 07:55:29 AM »
For that picture was taken in it day and time, it probably look very real to many back then.  I bet today, you could clean it up and really make it look real! :o
Ken

jpigg55

« Reply #239 on: January 22, 2019, 09:20:04 AM »
I should have realized it was an old photo. I don't even remember the last time I saw anything listed in the newspaper for 19₵.
SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612