Author Topic: What Did You Do Today  (Read 12656 times)

Carpenter84

Re: What Did You Do Today
« Reply #300 on: March 12, 2019, 11:45:13 AM »
They both begin with the same B00 "ASIN" code. Which was what made me suspect B size.

I dunno.... It's in the machine and dirty now, so I'm sure I own it. I'll see how it goes. It may just be fine. Who knows.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Bill Gruby

« Reply #301 on: March 12, 2019, 02:03:13 PM »
 I've had a link belt on my Table Saw and used balanced pulleys for over 15 years now without a single issue. I also have  one on my small Atlas 6 inch lathe, again no issues.

"Billy G"
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 02:04:50 PM by Bill Gruby »

4GSR

« Reply #302 on: March 12, 2019, 02:12:11 PM »
It'll be okay.  Put it under a little load and should grab without any issues.
Ken

mdlbldrmatt135

« Reply #303 on: March 13, 2019, 05:03:05 AM »
I'm with Billy.   It was the first "upgrade" I made to my Tablesaw about 10 years ago now...   the link belt is still going strong. (granted the motor is on a pivot, and tensions the belt for me)

pep

« Reply #304 on: March 13, 2019, 06:45:17 AM »
Two good thoughts, the correct belt to fit down in the V or belt dressing. For the price of a belt dressing it's worth playing with.  I did not see or missed the aprox age of the one running now, just curious.

Found CRC belt dressing and grip, use it on my compressor. Lives outside in the weather, protected from the rain. Powered 24 x 7 385, not that it's used everyday, but when I want air I want it now.  lol

Why did I use the dressing, the compressor was squealing at start up, once it ran some quiet. Thought I noticed it taking a bit longer to recover at first. The noise came later, now think it is a bearing, dowel and ear tool could not locate the sound when probing the pump and motor. That is when I decided it was the belt

Belts dry out the CRC is applied to the sides of the belt.

I captured this as I thought as to how you might id the proper belt, it is a Canada granger page, so LOL  it is written in Canadian ...... I'm so funny I just kill myself sometimes.

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/category/V-Belt-Pulleys/Sheaves-and-Pulleys/c/5260

Back to the image, notice fourth line down regarding the V beltS V.

It is likely can pull up the V belt pulley page and find the pulley on the machine, and  the belt to match. 

I have some experience with this, because I took a delta wood bandsaw and turned it into a metal cutter. Changing the drive pulley and adding the proper belt.

Pep
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:05:44 AM by pep »

Carpenter84

« Reply #305 on: March 14, 2019, 03:41:02 PM »
Spent the afternoon (home early from work) making a chip guard for the lathe. With all the turning I've been doing lately with the grinder, the garage is a war zone, with chips EVERYWHERE... And the lathe is the worst. That big aluminum wheel has been the worst.

.080" sheet of lexan. Heated in the oven and curved over a form. The trim is some kind of aluminum trim/edging I found at Depot. The assembly slides around on that shaft. Can move a reasonable distance back and forth to accomodate most of my turning. I'm not generally more than 10" away from the spindle nose. I made a locking collar stopper that can be adjusted. The whole thing can flip up or down onto the stopper.
Yes, the lexan is cracked in numerous areas... It's really difficult stuff to work with. And drilling is a challenge. I have a plastics drill bit, but punching through has to be done super gingerly. And I cracked it a bunch of times. I have over half of the sheet left. I can just drill out the rivits and try again if it cracks more and becomes crappy. Depot also had a plexiglass polish/cleaner I grabbed. Supposed to be able to clean and keep the surface scratches to a dull roar... Hopefully this keeps the flying chips at bay and out of my face.

I usually scoffed at the lathes with the guards with the built in interlocks, but I definitely see the worth in the guard.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

PJB

« Reply #306 on: March 14, 2019, 04:12:26 PM »
That looks pretty nice
I also generally dislike guards on machine tools but in the case of flying chips on the lathe they are well worth the occasional access hinderance provided its easily moved out of the way which it looks like it is.
My issue tends to be the tool post lever hitting the edge of the guard when traversing towards the headstock.    I just lift up the guard slightly as the lever approaches then it rides on top.   No biggie but i have crashed into it once or twice.   Fortunately mine is kind of flexible so it just twisted a bit .  Clocking the lever so itís parallel when locked might be a solution.   
So tell me - What's your fair share of everything I've worked for??? Nothing?  Correct answer!
I cordially invite you to join me in starving and beating our govt back to it's honeymoon physique.

Carpenter84

« Reply #307 on: March 14, 2019, 04:41:41 PM »
I had the exact concern. Ideally I would like the guard lower, but the tool post arm gets in the way. Which was why I made it all adjustable. The guard stops just above the tool arm. I was even pondering ways to not have the tool post arm right there. My current thought is to put a bend in the arm to lower it slightly, maybe.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

PJB

What Did You Do Today
« Reply #308 on: March 14, 2019, 09:35:21 PM »
Could always unscrew the TP lever assuming you plan to use a particular tool and not need to change out frequently.    Not the most elegant solution.   Defeats some of the quick in quick change.

VS

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 09:46:55 PM by PJB »
So tell me - What's your fair share of everything I've worked for??? Nothing?  Correct answer!
I cordially invite you to join me in starving and beating our govt back to it's honeymoon physique.

Carpenter84

« Reply #309 on: March 14, 2019, 10:08:10 PM »
Thatís true. Iíd likely just lose the handle tho... lol
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #310 on: March 15, 2019, 07:38:11 AM »
Sure need to make a chip guard for my lathe.  I have a piece of Lexan I bought a while back that was going to be used for chip guards for the machines.  Being used to cover the back door until we can get it replaced.

Shawn, nice job you did there.

Carpenter84

« Reply #311 on: March 17, 2019, 09:33:53 AM »
Apparently a good goose neck machine is damn difficult to find. I've been struggling with no spending hundreds on a machine light. Cobbling together horse crap and using old desk lamps.
A trip to home Depot for a shower cartridge resulted in an interesting idea that seems to work out in spades.

A gas appliance whip, some plumbing parts, and a lamp holder. Presto.

I remembered that the wardflex gas pipe is flexible but rather ridgid. The whip was only $15 on sale.
It wiggles like a bobble head, but it flexes really well and stays where I put it... Which apparently is too much to ask of most goose necks.

The old mill light can hit the road.... I'll make another one for the lathe with a bit more consolidated parts.

Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

GNAP

« Reply #312 on: March 17, 2019, 10:21:01 AM »
God Bless you guys, for working safely, someone has to...........

I worked in a shop that had a chuck cover/guard on the lathe, I was assigned to run the lathe, I quit before I had to use it. To me it like running the lathe, from the next room. I want to directly see what I doing.
jack

Carpenter84

« Reply #313 on: March 17, 2019, 11:19:56 AM »
I can see perfectly through the guard. But I have been looking around it. It was mostly to stop the chips from flying across the garage.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

pep

« Reply #314 on: March 17, 2019, 06:17:50 PM »
Apparently a good goose neck machine is damn difficult to find. I've been struggling with no spending hundreds on a machine light. Cobbling together horse crap and using old desk lamps.
A trip to home Depot for a shower cartridge resulted in an interesting idea that seems to work out in spades.

A gas appliance whip, some plumbing parts, and a lamp holder. Presto.

I remembered that the wardflex gas pipe is flexible but rather ridgid. The whip was only $15 on sale.
It wiggles like a bobble head, but it flexes really well and stays where I put it... Which apparently is too much to ask of most goose necks.

The old mill light can hit the road.... I'll make another one for the lathe with a bit more consolidated parts.

Good thinking, I like it ...

Chip guard, I made one the first time I use my mill, or very shortly after. Mostly to contain the mess. I seem to not have the same need for the lathe.

Pep
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 06:21:29 PM by pep »