Author Topic: Aluminum foundry  (Read 587 times)

dlane

Aluminum foundry
« on: July 12, 2018, 10:20:24 PM »
Anyone have one , I have a bunch of 6061 parts that need to be melted and made into somthing else.
Derrick

PJB

Re: Aluminum foundry
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 12:24:20 PM »
Sorry Derrick I don't have one at home but for mentioning sake we have one at work.  Do you have patterns for your parts??
One of my departments functions is to design and mfg permanent molds (tilt pour)  Lately tho the type of work we get has shifted and is more suitable for sand (chem set) casting.  we do everything in house including the patterns.   
Maybe some day when I retire and have a suitable outbuilding shop a home foundry will be in the cards.
Coincidentally we make electric heaters, sensors and control systems so to design and scale a small melting furnace would be a pc of cake.  Gas fired would be much easier but oh well... ;D   
So tell me - What's your fair share of everything I've worked for??? Nothing?  Correct answer!
I cordially invite you to join me in starving and beating our govt back to it's honeymoon physique.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 11:54:57 PM »
I don't have one yet - but I plan to in the not too distant future. Probably not until late next summer though, too much work to do on the house first.
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Jake Parker

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 10:00:03 PM »
So what kind of parts are you needing cast?

woodchucker

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 10:11:07 PM »
I didn't think 6061 was a good aluminum to cast with.  I was under the impression that  aluminum you cast with was lower grade.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://woodchucker.imgur.com

dlane

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 08:43:01 AM »
I have about 130# of small aluminum parts Ied like to make larger billets for future projects.
I have three full pails of these taking up space.
Derrick

woodchucker

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 12:34:16 PM »
I have about 130# of small aluminum parts Ied like to make larger billets for future projects.
I have three full pails of these taking up space.

Damn, some of those look like they are very usable drops.
Send some my way,I'll make a stash of it disappear.
 :P
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://woodchucker.imgur.com

dlane

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 03:39:31 PM »
They are 4 soft jaws for Kurt vises, this is the thread I started about them
https://www.machinistgazette.com/index.php?topic=31.0
There were no master jaws for them
Derrick

cathead

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 12:43:49 PM »
Yes, I have two of them.  One is a Johnson and the other is a Speedy Melt. 
Both I run on propane.
Cathead @ Catwerks