Author Topic: Anyone Ever Operate a Blanchard #11 Grinder?  (Read 1266 times)

Ulma Doctor

Anyone Ever Operate a Blanchard #11 Grinder?
« on: September 22, 2018, 12:39:56 PM »
I'm about to pull the trigger on a sweet deal of a couple blanchard grinders for my regular business.
my old Pieco rotary grinder has seen better days and is ready for the the boneyard.
i'm going to replace it with a heavier machine, the Blanchard 11
i was wondering if any of the peanut gallery has experience with them and can offer any tips or anecdotes on the operation of these heavy duty machines.
i have been around and worked many types of grinding machines , but the Blanchard has not been on my list of machines operated.
i was able to get a PDF manual, but i'm looking for the stuff that's not in the manual!
thanks in advance for any information or stories!
😎
8 Lathes, 5 Milling Machines, 6 Welders, 2 Surface Grinders, Shop Smith & woodworking stuff too !!!

MIKE WALTON

4GSR

Re: Anyone Ever Operate a Blanchard #11 Grinder?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 01:26:37 PM »
I've been around a couple in my earlier years.  Never run one.  Don't seem too difficult to run.  I guess the biggest issue is, how worn out are they?  Just from what I've read on other forums, they can be a bear to work on.  My understanding, all the bearings are standard sizes and readily available.
Ken

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 04:13:21 PM »
I was also near to one years ago, but did not get the opportunity to operate it. I know that it made a hell of a racket when the operator started things up but forgot to turn on the magnetic table and he started his first pass!
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

Ulma Doctor

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 07:14:31 PM »
I've been around a couple in my earlier years.  Never run one.  Don't seem too difficult to run.  I guess the biggest issue is, how worn out are they?  Just from what I've read on other forums, they can be a bear to work on.  My understanding, all the bearings are standard sizes and readily available.
Hi Ken,
the machines were purchased by a manufacturer of telescope lenses .
they were never put into production because the area didn't have 460V 3 phase service, and it was deemed too expensive to them to make 460v
the 2 machines have set for a few years in my judgement.
i was able to get to one of the machines and rotated the spindle by hand, and it rotated smooth as butter- but i was not able to do much else due to space constraints
they look used, but not abused 👍
my thought is that between the 2 i can make one, at the very least
if i'm lucky, i'll get 2 grinders in the end 😀

in reading the manual, it's easy to square them up again- even if they are worn- get this "without having to scrape them in"
we shall soon see.

i got a line on a 45KVA 3 phase transformer that i'm going to run backward to get my 460 supply
i got plenty of power at the business, so hopefully i can get one up and going soon!

I was also near to one years ago, but did not get the opportunity to operate it. I know that it made a hell of a racket when the operator started things up but forgot to turn on the magnetic table and he started his first pass!
hi terry,
yeah i could see how they can easily make projectiles from static stock!!!
the spindle motors are beasts,
@ 15hp- there is not much gonna stop the motor, except catastrophe i suppose.  🤬
8 Lathes, 5 Milling Machines, 6 Welders, 2 Surface Grinders, Shop Smith & woodworking stuff too !!!

MIKE WALTON

4GSR

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 08:17:50 PM »
I take it they are not dual voltage motors?
Ken

chips and more

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 09:13:19 PM »
All I know is they can remove metal in a hurry. And maybe not as accurate as a surface grinder?...You lucky dog!

Ulma Doctor

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 09:18:14 PM »
they grind optical lenses with these Blanchards, so i think the accuracy has to be pretty dang good  :)

MIKE WALTON

Ulma Doctor

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 09:20:08 PM »
I take it they are not dual voltage motors?
from what i have seen, it had 460v nameplates
but i'll be sure to investigate that further  ;)

MIKE WALTON

gtermini

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 12:08:06 PM »
I have a Blanchard 18 at work I run occasionally. I am no expert, and never had any training from anyone, so everything I know, I've made up or gleaned from the internet.

The issues/things to check out will be the mag chuck and the segment chuck. The 18 I use has had documented mag issues going back to 1960 when the college got it surplus. It stems fromt he switching/generator circuitry. There are several contactors and transformers involved. It works 95% of the time for me, but occasionally if I start the motor generator and switch the chuck without letting it "warm up" for a few minutes, the mag light indicator will flash and the force will be weak. Cycling the circuit off and waiting a few minutes mostly clears the fault.

My chuck drive is making funky noises in high gear. I believe the chuck lifts straight off, but I can't get the forklift back to lift the 40" disc. There are slip rings and a bevel gear drive inside. Hopefully you get a ring with each machine that's roughly 3/8 X 1 flat bar  rolled the "easy way" in to a ring that sits on shoulder around the chuck. These are used to keep thin parts from slipping off the chuck during heavy grinding.

The segment chuck was fabricated in the shop in the early 60s. At the time there were two styles of segments. I don't remember them off hand, but the type chosen to copy has become the more difficult segment to obtain. Norton still makes segments to order, MSC stock a few, as well as other supply houses.

Don't dress the wheel any more than you have to. Doesn't do much but wast segment material. It the segments are loading, take a heavier downfeed. The Blanchard dresser isn't long enough for segments on mine until they are about 50% worn. I use a heavy star wheel dresser clamped to a 4" angle plate to dress. Get it set skew to the wheel with the chuck stationary, touch the wheel, and transverse the chuck. It will cut super coarse after a dressing. Like you finger nail will catch in the scratches. If I need a smooth grind, I will "load" the wheel on a piece of flat steel plate before I grind. Grind on the plate at the slowest downfeed for 20 thou. This will take the high spots off the segments and make them cut smoother.

Tagging off is a pain. The wheel face is invisible when spinning. I stop the wheel, take a piece of .100" aluminum, and use it as a feeler gauge between the work and the segments.

One never mentioned note. Blanchards serve as a cesspool for schit coolant. Every other sump of rotten crap gets dumped in the Blanchard. The smell isn't bad if it sits and gets a sealing oil skim, but it stinks the whole shop up when it runs.

Let me know if there's anything else. I'm sure I missed a bunch.

Greyson

4GSR

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 02:31:35 PM »
If they were using them to grind glass, glass being very abrasive, may have cause lots of wear to the machines over the years. Could be a nasty cleanup!
Ken

Ulma Doctor

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 07:07:48 PM »
I have a Blanchard 18 at work I run occasionally. I am no expert, and never had any training from anyone, so everything I know, I've made up or gleaned from the internet.

The issues/things to check out will be the mag chuck and the segment chuck. The 18 I use has had documented mag issues going back to 1960 when the college got it surplus. It stems fromt he switching/generator circuitry. There are several contactors and transformers involved. It works 95% of the time for me, but occasionally if I start the motor generator and switch the chuck without letting it "warm up" for a few minutes, the mag light indicator will flash and the force will be weak. Cycling the circuit off and waiting a few minutes mostly clears the fault.

My chuck drive is making funky noises in high gear. I believe the chuck lifts straight off, but I can't get the forklift back to lift the 40" disc. There are slip rings and a bevel gear drive inside. Hopefully you get a ring with each machine that's roughly 3/8 X 1 flat bar  rolled the "easy way" in to a ring that sits on shoulder around the chuck. These are used to keep thin parts from slipping off the chuck during heavy grinding.

The segment chuck was fabricated in the shop in the early 60s. At the time there were two styles of segments. I don't remember them off hand, but the type chosen to copy has become the more difficult segment to obtain. Norton still makes segments to order, MSC stock a few, as well as other supply houses.

Don't dress the wheel any more than you have to. Doesn't do much but wast segment material. It the segments are loading, take a heavier downfeed. The Blanchard dresser isn't long enough for segments on mine until they are about 50% worn. I use a heavy star wheel dresser clamped to a 4" angle plate to dress. Get it set skew to the wheel with the chuck stationary, touch the wheel, and transverse the chuck. It will cut super coarse after a dressing. Like you finger nail will catch in the scratches. If I need a smooth grind, I will "load" the wheel on a piece of flat steel plate before I grind. Grind on the plate at the slowest downfeed for 20 thou. This will take the high spots off the segments and make them cut smoother.

Tagging off is a pain. The wheel face is invisible when spinning. I stop the wheel, take a piece of .100" aluminum, and use it as a feeler gauge between the work and the segments.

One never mentioned note. Blanchards serve as a cesspool for schit coolant. Every other sump of rotten crap gets dumped in the Blanchard. The smell isn't bad if it sits and gets a sealing oil skim, but it stinks the whole shop up when it runs.

Let me know if there's anything else. I'm sure I missed a bunch.

Greyson
Thank you Greyson for the information!!!

MIKE WALTON

Ulma Doctor

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 07:10:23 PM »
If they were using them to grind glass, glass being very abrasive, may have cause lots of wear to the machines over the years. Could be a nasty cleanup!
the grinders were not actually used to grind glass to my knowledge.
the intent or the previous owner was to put them into production to make lenses for telescopes.
but i'll be sure to do a detailed assessment of the machines, i'll post my findings !
thanks for the information!!!

MIKE WALTON

Machinists Gazette

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 07:10:23 PM »