Author Topic: Servicing an Aloris Style Tool Post  (Read 537 times)

4GSR

Servicing an Aloris Style Tool Post
« on: September 25, 2018, 11:12:42 AM »
Here is how to Dis-assemble an Aloris Style tool post.  This one is a BXA post of mine I've had since I bought it new in 1979. The clones out there will cone apart similar to this one.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:24:05 AM by 4GSR »
Ken

4GSR

Re: Servicing an Aloris Style Tool Post
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 11:16:00 AM »
Try to locate a drag link socket at your local auto supply or tool truck to fit the slot on the piece on the tool post as shown.  Mount it in your mill vise or a BFV that don't move the work bench when you pull into it. Then use a long breaker bar like the 30" I have from HF. Will take about a 50 lb pull on the breaker bar to snap it loose.  Use  a ratchet to walk it out of the body of the tool post.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:23:43 AM by 4GSR »
Ken

4GSR

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 11:18:19 AM »
Next, rotate the handle to remove the screw from the body.  Next, remove the body from the vise and remove the dovetail pieces. Last clean her up and apply a little grease, I prefer a grease with molly-DI-sulfate in it, them reassemble in reverse order.  The dovetail pieces will only go in one way and you cannot get them reversed in the wrong pocket!

Oh, don't tighten as tight as it was the first time, don't need to be that tight for the home shop enviroment.

Ken
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:22:32 AM by 4GSR »
Ken

dlane

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 01:05:18 PM »
Thanks Ken , Iíll be doing my axa pretty soon.
Derrick

woodchucker

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 02:48:42 PM »
Here is how to Dis-assemble an Aloris Style tool post.  This one is a BXA post of mine I've had since I bought it new in 1979. The clones out there will cone apart similar to this one.
Or an adjustable spanner works, with the proper sized dowel pins.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://woodchucker.imgur.com

Bamban

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 08:13:15 PM »
Thank you, Ken.

Should I assume that the thread is RH?

(Yes, it is right hand. Ken)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 07:56:22 PM by 4GSR »
USAF 1972-1978
Distinguished Rifleman Badge 1234
P100
High Master XC, LR

4GSR

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 07:47:25 PM »
Here's the re-assembly of the tool post after doing a little cleaning up of the parts.  Applied a little moly grease to the moving parts.  Next, putting the dovetail keys in their respective slots.  Not difficult to do, they will only go one way and look right.
Ken

4GSR

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 07:54:32 PM »
Next, upright the tool post and with the keys down against the bottom, install the Acme double thread screw into tool post housing and screw down til the dovetail keys start to move up.  At this point, take and install a tool holder and snug.  Check position of handle.  If not in correct position, back out and skip over one thread start and try again.  May have to do this up to three times to get the handle in the correct position when snugged.  Once done, install the stem and tighten. And you're done.
Ken

GNAP

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 08:06:16 PM »
The only real difference between the Aloris QCTP, you shown and my Dorian QCTP, is the ability clock the handle, to put the open and closed arc swing , in the position, you the user, would prefer.
jack

4GSR

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 09:11:22 PM »
The only real difference between the Aloris QCTP, you shown and my Dorian QCTP, is the ability clock the handle, to put the open and closed arc swing , in the position, you the user, would prefer.

Yeah, that wouldn't be hard to do with a Aloris tool post.
Ken

Bamban

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 12:25:51 AM »
Finally took the old Aloris BXA tool post to replace the worn out sliding tapered gibs. I looked for drag link sockets locally to no avail, eBay has them in various sizes, but did not want to order and wait. I was going to drill and press a dowel pin on 5/8 bolt, rummaging through my bucket of different bolts amd washer I came across a couple ot grade 8 half inch washers. Looking at their thickness, they sure look like a couple together would fit nicely into the slot on top of the worm gear. Cinched the two washer with nuts on a carriage bolt worked nicely.to loosen the threaded tube holding the worm.

USAF 1972-1978
P100
High Master XC, LR

Bamban

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 12:34:15 AM »
Aloris was going to charge me 120 labor to replace the sliding gib, decided to do it myself. I thought it would be straight forward, and it was. Except, the gibs needed to be fitted, and I did it the hard way, filed both of them to fit the tool post and filed some more so the tool holders will fit freely. It was well worth it. The tool post handle when locking any tool holder, it is right at 90 degrees to the bedways, 6 o'clock with the old gubs. With the new fitted ones, now the handle fully locked on a tool holder is somewhere about 4 o'clock
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 08:45:14 AM by Bamban »
USAF 1972-1978
P100
High Master XC, LR