Author Topic: Blanchard #11 Surface Grinder  (Read 1202 times)

Ulma Doctor

Blanchard #11 Surface Grinder
« on: September 25, 2018, 11:06:44 PM »
I pulled the trigger on 2 Blanchard 11's today.
one may turn out to be a parts machine, one will go into production again 😀😀
i will say that it was the heaviest piece of equipment i have ever moved.
this little beauty weighs in at around #6000 and made the ride home full of pucker marks on the driver's seat.
i knew it was heavy, but i didn't realize how heavy 3 tons is until i moved it 120 miles.
it loaded and unloaded easily with a forklift.

after taking a more close up look at what i got, i was able to closer inspect the motors.
thankfully it appears that they appear to be dual voltage motors and can be run on 230v 3 phase.
i do not have a very picture of the spindle motor, so that will be the deciding factor
i already bought a used transformer in the event that i had to run 460v, but i think i may just run it on the lower voltage if i can.

she appears to be in decent shape overall, but i'll soon find out the real skinny on the machine.

here are some pics!

the 2ND TO THE last picture is a bad angle of the spindle motor plate

IF YOU CLICK ON THE PICTURE THE PICTURE GETS BIGGER!!!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:08:53 PM by Ulma Doctor »
8 Lathes, 5 Milling Machines, 6 Welders, 2 Surface Grinders, Shop Smith & woodworking stuff too !!!

MIKE WALTON

Carpenter84

Re: Blanchard #11 Surface Grinder
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 11:50:10 PM »
What would you use a grinder like this for?
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

dlane

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 09:06:39 AM »
Stout lookin machine Mike, you must of taken those pics at the original owners place because I canít see your other machines in the background, are you planning on stacking them up ?

Iíve never seen one before, that one looks like it grinds round discs, the grinding disc looks diamond ?
Do they make them that grind a mill table  , Are the machines for paying work related uses.

Derrick

4GSR

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 09:30:00 AM »
Mike,

I been around a couple of these many years ago, and actually saw one running.  Don't remember the model no.  We had some 8" thick slabs about 16 x 30 ground on each side before we did any mill work on the pieces of plate.  The Blanchard grinder just barely cleaned up the widest corner of the plate.  Seem like the chuck size was 30" on it.

Getting back the your smaller ones, seem like the small one I saw being repaired had round linear rails the chuck rode on.  Is yours set up like that?

Oh, congratulations on your new toys!

Ken
Ken

gtermini

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 10:36:00 AM »
Here's the less cute big brother to yours.

Greyson

chips and more

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 10:36:44 AM »
Very nice UD! You da the man now! Cast iron king!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:42:16 AM by chips and more »

Ulma Doctor

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 06:41:43 PM »
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 06:44:14 PM by Ulma Doctor »
8 Lathes, 5 Milling Machines, 6 Welders, 2 Surface Grinders, Shop Smith & woodworking stuff too !!!

MIKE WALTON

Ulma Doctor

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 06:49:41 PM »
Stout lookin machine Mike, you must of taken those pics at the original owners place because I canít see your other machines in the background, are you planning on stacking them up ?

Iíve never seen one before, that one looks like it grinds round discs, the grinding disc looks diamond ?
Do they make them that grind a mill table  , Are the machines for paying work related uses.
these pictures were taken at my shop , the Blanchard wouldn't even come close to fitting in the shitshow at my house  :)
the blanchards make quick work out of any grinding job. we are gonna use them for resharpening grinder plates
the grinder has a diamond wheel on it, but there are different types of wheels and segments available

they do make very large surface grinders like these that can grind mill tables,
but i think a lot of that work is done on linear grinding machines instead of rotary grinding machines

MIKE WALTON

Ulma Doctor

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 06:56:40 PM »
Mike,

I been around a couple of these many years ago, and actually saw one running.  Don't remember the model no.  We had some 8" thick slabs about 16 x 30 ground on each side before we did any mill work on the pieces of plate.  The Blanchard grinder just barely cleaned up the widest corner of the plate.  Seem like the chuck size was 30" on it.

Getting back the your smaller ones, seem like the small one I saw being repaired had round linear rails the chuck rode on.  Is yours set up like that?

Oh, congratulations on your new toys!

Ken
Thanks Ken!
yes the chuck moves laterally, by turning the capstan crank.
there are 2 massive bearing surfaces that the assembly rides on.
you load the victim to the left and crank the capstan crank and the chuck travels towards the spindle.
you then touch off and dial in the depth of cut and use the auto feed to achieve the desired height, or manually set the spindle height by handwheel
the mag table counter rotates to the direction of spindle travel
the machine does the rest of the work, and quickly too  :)

MIKE WALTON

Ulma Doctor

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 06:58:06 PM »
Here's the less cute big brother to yours.
Greyson
wow that's a whole bunch of heavy duty right there!
thanks for sharing!!!
she's beautiful!!!  8)

MIKE WALTON

Ulma Doctor

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 06:58:46 PM »
Very nice UD! You da the man now! Cast iron king!
Thanks Chips!!!  :)

MIKE WALTON

4GSR

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 07:13:03 PM »
Perfect grinder for those meat grinder plates! ;)
Ken

woodchucker

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 08:42:46 PM »
nice Mike.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

Machinists Gazette

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 08:42:46 PM »