Author Topic: Takisawa tc1 cnc lathe  (Read 128 times)

dlane

Takisawa tc1 cnc lathe
« on: September 26, 2018, 02:57:59 PM »
My brother is thinking of getting one of those from a machine shop , the owner is retiring same guy I got my mill from. He wants to make bullet pen parts with it, not sure of the price.
Anyone have any insight as to the machine, it is a Japanese co. so it should be high quality.
Derrick

4GSR

Re: Takisawa tc1 cnc lathe
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 05:32:04 PM »
I've heard of them.  If it's in good working order and not too old, go for it.
Ken

dlane

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 10:06:50 PM »
Picís
Derrick

dlane

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 10:15:04 PM »
Some more, the last pic looks like the spindle has some damage on threads
Derrick

gtermini

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 11:12:25 PM »
That thing looks clean, which isn't usually a bad sign. I wouldn't think the spindle thread damage is a deal breaker.

The biggest make or break is going to be the same as any aging CNC, control support. That baby could run sweet as candy for 2 months or 20 years, then decide to toast a board one morning, and you're suddenly sitting with a blob of scrap holding the floor down.

I'd call a couple service techs and/or the factory and price a couple of the main boards. See if you can stomach the number they throw out. It's probably more then the machine is listed for.

A Centroid retrofit is $8-15K installed. A homebrew Mach or Linux control is ~$2k in parts, but 50-100 man hours to install. And then you have no support to call on. I have a Mach3 BP V2XT and I about scrapped it several times during the retrofit process. It still has major quirks, and I wouldn't want it between me and a paycheck on a job.

I've heard lots and lots of great things about Mazak lathes. I think if I were headed that direction, I'd definitely give them a look. You're in CA, so you have reasonably close access to more machine sales than I could ever dream of in Oregon. When I get serious about a VMC, I think I will look at used machines in CA. They are still cheaper after paying freight, than buying around here.

Greyson

dlane

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 11:40:32 PM »
Thanks gtermini, Iíll pass the words
Derrick