Author Topic: Stuart No4 Casting Set  (Read 2319 times)

f350ca

Re: Stuart No4 Casting Set
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2018, 07:45:25 PM »
Made the connecting rod today from the supplied casting. The drawing shows the bottom end split across the journal, decided to step the joint to locate it rather than rely on the bolts.

f350ca

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2018, 07:47:53 PM »
Starting to look like an engine. could build the parts in full size quicker than these little pieces, spent most of a day making that clevis on the valve rod,

pep

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2018, 07:34:06 PM »
Man I'll say it is  .......

thumbs up
Pep

f350ca

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2018, 08:48:09 AM »
Other projects have been stealing my time.
The kit came with castings for the valve rods but they look massive so thought I'd attempt a lighter looking set. Made these from some scrap bronze and stainless rod.

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2018, 04:19:09 PM »
Made the connecting rod today from the supplied casting. The drawing shows the bottom end split across the journal, decided to step the joint to locate it rather than rely on the bolts.

I love the work you've done on this project so far, but you've been busy showing, and now it is time to tell.  I first thought that I had figured out how you created the stepped joint on that con rod, but I realized that I was wrong. I would like to know how you accomplished it, however. Would you mind explaining how you did that?  I assume that there was some silver soldering involved.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 04:23:41 PM by Terrywerm »
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

f350ca

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2018, 06:33:43 PM »
Thanks Terry,
Nothing complicated in the joint at all. I drilled the holes for the fasteners first, through with the tap drill then clearance size in the cap end. (made a dial indicator mount for the quill a while ago, works great for drilling to a depth) Then sawed the casting with enough material on the rod end to mill the center section down to where I wanted the bore. Then milled the cap flat and the shoulders away to fit the rod end. Bolted them together and drilled and reamed the hole.
Pictures would explain it well but forget to bring the camera to the shop.

Greg

f350ca

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2018, 06:41:16 PM »
Its coming back to me now.
Before I bored the hole for the crank I center drilled the ends and turned the tapered shaft between centers.
With the hole reamed I closed it down on a dowel pin then chucked the pin in a collet to face the sides and turn the body down towards the bolts to get the shoulder.
Quite a few steps to get a simple part. lol

Greg

Terrywerm

• Global Moderator
  • It's only down the road a little piece - Jordan MN
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2018, 10:27:43 PM »
Thanks for the response, Greg. That is what I initially thought you did, but when I went back and looked at the photo of the original casting I honestly didn't think that there had been enough material there to do that in the first place. Now you know why I asked!
Terry

Making chips with old machines!

f350ca

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2018, 08:12:09 PM »
Was making some bushing for a little backhoe out of 660 bronze and thought it would make good rings. Machined the ID and OD then parted off two 1/8th wide by .05 thick rings. When I went to split them didn't they close up, don't think I've ever cut a ring that it didn't spring open. Managed to spring them open with the jaws of a small vice.
Have it together enough to try, after some playing with the valve timing have it purring like a kitten. Will get a video.

pep

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2018, 10:21:22 PM »
I believe I just saw this running @ 20 psi ...... smooth running engine/
You've been busy .... :-)
Pep

Carpenter84

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2018, 10:30:13 PM »
Where did you see it running?
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

pep

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2018, 06:52:30 AM »
Hope he doesn't not mind me showing the link, but here goes. It's such a nice piece of machine work it deserves a showing....

https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/first-run-of-my-stuart-4.30764/

Pep

f350ca

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2018, 10:07:40 AM »
Don't mind at all Pep. It certainly is a nice engine.

Greg

woodchucker

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2018, 10:33:56 AM »
Don't mind at all Pep. It certainly is a nice engine.

Greg
Greg, that wasn't your engine in the video was it. The timing crank looks different, your's is a sexy version, and that was squared off.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 11:22:53 AM by woodchucker »
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://imgur.com/user/woodchucker/posts

f350ca

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2018, 11:15:30 AM »
Not mine Jeff, another builder in the UK. Mine has the reversing gear on the valve train.
Will try and get a video made when I get a proper feed line made up

Greg