Author Topic: Old, lonely, and forgotten...  (Read 220 times)

Carpenter84

• Bowmanville, Ontario. Hobbies, hobbies, hobbies.
Old, lonely, and forgotten...
« on: October 07, 2018, 11:47:15 PM »
Slow night...

What's one do with an old, emptied out b-port head sitting under his bench? Gets in the way more often than not. Too stubborn to give it away. Too emotional to throw it away... Still some usable parts. Mostly just a shell. It looks sad down there in the dirt...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

woodchucker

Re: Old, lonely, and forgotten...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 09:17:22 AM »
Hold onto it. There's no reason to get rid of it, right. You never know. You may find someone who needs some parts and you can rescue them, or make a swap. Or a part on the head would be perfect for what you need.
Jeff
Clausing 8520   SB Model 9a - power hacksaw, Milwaukee band saw in a table.  Delta Rockwell Surface Grinder (not online yet .. being rebuilt where am I going to stick this)
For pics: https://woodchucker.imgur.com

jpigg55

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 10:01:04 AM »
If it's that lonely, just send it to me. I'll put it with the rest of my "Some day" stuff so it has company. LOL
SB 9A, Clausing 8520, Sanford MG 612

Carpenter84

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 10:05:07 AM »
That's why she sits there... All upside down, dirty, and lonely. Almost makes you sad..

The spindle was just sitting on top, like in the picture. I pulled it out and started inspecting it. The collar on the tapered side is in better shape than mine, and, with the exception of the broken R8 guide pin, the taper seems like it is smoother too... But who knows without spinning this up some how.
The bearings aren't the smoothest thing in the world but it's hard to tell, it's all SUPER dirty.

I may pull the back gear bearing and see if it's better than mine. Mines shot I'm pretty sure. But last time I had this head on the bench, the pulleys wouldn't turn. I never looked into why. Maybe soon...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Uglydog

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 12:36:42 PM »
I've got one as well. Silly thing is that I've not been a BP fan. Used them exclusively at the Tech School. I prefer the Cincy.
Perhaps should check to learn which of us needs what parts and then make at least one good head (if not two).

Daryl
MN

Carpenter84

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 01:23:51 PM »
I kept it because, well, who gets rid of something like this??! And second. I had been harvesting parts from it. All of the power feeds guts are in my clone.
I actually took the power head totally apart. No reason, just something to do - see what kind of shape everything is in.

The back gear train was totally seized. Nothing salvageable there. And I cracked the housing trying to pull the bearing for the small gear on the other side of the back gear selector. Its in a blind hole, my greased up rags pushed into the hole didn't work to push the bearing out. Too rusted in, cracked the housing on the other side. The housing was too beat up to warrant refinishing anyways.
But the bearings in the center of the pulley hub look new. Fresh grease. I cleaned them and they run decent. I had been taking pictures but they're on my other phone which has since broken.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Uglydog

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 03:26:27 PM »
This one has been sitting under the bench gathering dust.
Needs a motor and likely some additional parts.
I don't plan to move her to the new shop.
I'm making piles for stuff I need to sell and give away.
This will be in the sell pile, at less than eBay market.

Even if you were interested it looks like you are near Toronto.
The shipping would be nuts unless we found a rucker. 

Daryl
MN

Carpenter84

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 04:13:47 PM »
Yup. Much too far for a lot of the deals and opportunities that come up here.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

chips and more

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 05:02:18 PM »
Half the crap in my shop is old lonely and forgotten. I canít toss the stuff, it could be used someday, or thatís the excuse I use. I think I will let the inheritance take care of it, or thatís the excuse I use.