Author Topic: K.o. Lee grinder lube  (Read 1820 times)

chips and more

Re: K.o. Lee grinder lube
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 08:36:20 AM »
Incorrect drive belt tension can cause that. If too tight the motor noise can easily be transmitted to the work. If too loose the belt can flop around, slip and all that and send noise to the work. The belt needs to be just right. And a 3ph motor is better than a 1ph for noise issues showing up on the work…Good Luck

Carpenter84

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 09:03:56 AM »
But again, the striations should be based on the feed speed, no?
They show up on the work consistent no matter how fast or slow I traverse the table back and forth. I still think it's the rack gear. Because I can feel the teeth meshing when I turn the handle.
But yes, the motor is crappy. It's weak.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Ko Lee 6x12 surface grinder,
Airco dip/stick 160 welder,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 10:23:02 AM »
Get you a better motor on it. 

That Craftsman motor is a POS to begin with.  If it's one of them that has the cradle for it to sit in, that cradle will shake and rattle when the motor is loaded.  Plus, the way a single phase motor runs, the stator jumps from one side of the windings to the other when running.  Just the nature of a single phase motor.  A 3ph motor the stator will jump winding to winding smoothly with out the "jumpyness" as you get from a 1ph motor. 

There are lots of SG's out there with rack and pinion, and don't have this particular issue.

As I asked last night, does the table on yours run on rollers?

Ken
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 11:06:22 AM »
No. I think I answered that already, unless I forgot. It's v-ways and a flat like the lathe. Oil baths with the little applicator wheels. Lots of oil in there and on the ways. If I make the mistake of touching the ways on the bottom of the table my hand gets nicely coated in way oil.
I'll pull the table off and have a look at the rack. Maybe something is loose or out of align.

I have a 3ph 3/4hp or 1hp (can't remember) motor sitting waiting for something. But I would need to buy a VFD.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 12:55:06 PM »
If you get a finger full of oil off the bottom of the table, you're good.  No need to take the table off.  Now, if you can feel the rack and pinion "bumping" as it is turned, that could be causing some of the skipping, but at the moment, I rule it out.  I think you need to hook up the 3ph motor with a VFD and see if that fixes the problem.

I run mine on a 3ph motor with a VFD, get virtually a perfect grind every time.  My table is on rollers with a continuous drip oil feed.  I run a Poly-vee belt drive on mine, too.
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2018, 08:26:24 PM »
I'll look into it. Not a good expense right now. I have a few bucks stashed away but I realllllly need to figure out this straight edge fiasco before I worry about the grinder. I may still look into the rack. The table just sits on the ways under its own weight. Super easy to remove. You literally just lift it up...
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2018, 08:37:20 PM »
The striations line up with the rack teeth perfectly.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2018, 08:57:53 PM »
Looks like you identified the problem.  Now, how do you want to fix it?
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2018, 09:11:15 PM »
I started with digging the gunk out of the teeth... But short of that, I have no idea... Nothing is adjustable. And I kind of hope it's not an indication of wear.
However, it appears to not be out of the realm of possibility to mill off 2-3 thou off the back side of the rack where it bolts to the table. Otherwise, I don't see any place for adjustment or shimming.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2018, 09:17:39 PM »
There's a set screw that holds the bushing around the crank shaft, it was loose and the shaft and gear had room to wobble and move. Potentially causing it to sit higher than normal... Maybe, hopefully, that's all?
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Carpenter84

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2018, 09:20:06 PM »
Nope. Can still feel the rack.
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

4GSR

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2018, 09:50:49 PM »
The rack looks just like the one on the table of my K O Lee T & C grinder.  The table on mine looks similar, but seems like mine the ways are a little wider.  Yours looks more like my cross slide ways.  Same oiling rollers on mine.

I would say remove the rack and see if it isn't already shimmed.  If not, that's going to be tough to take a few thousandths off of it.  Really need a SG to do that. :-[
Ken

Carpenter84

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2018, 10:56:11 PM »
Hell, I'd traverse the table by hand IF the rack fit on the 6x12.
Definitely no shims under it.
However... IF the rack needs to be shaved down, if I put it on the mill and shaved off a few thou, if I was a thou or two crooked, it wouldn't really matter alllll that much, I wouldn't think...? Were not talking about taking off half an inch, just tooth clearance. If I reallyessed up and was 5 thou off, it's not like the tooth backlash would effect much. I don't often climb grind. And IF I completely messed up, the worst would be I could never climb grind again.......... Hmm?
Shawn

First 9x42 column mill,
Enterprise 10x28 lathe,
Fully stocked wood shop.

Machinists Gazette

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2018, 10:56:11 PM »